ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

JkDefrag further developed as MyDefrag

<< < (7/8) > >>

MilesAhead:
When I view the MyDefrag statistics, I don't see a percentage like JkDefrag provided-- % of all items/% of disk. Seems like that's important data to have within eyesight.

-sajman99 (October 31, 2009, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

I know it's a big drag to reprogram something that already works, but I still think the biggest negative impression for that software is the status window or whatever the term for it is.  The colors are washed out and it's not easy to figure out what is supposed to be what.  Auslogics probably has the technically inferior defrag but the status window makes you feel like it knows what it's doing and it ain't wastin' any time doin' it.  It totally wins the Impression War when using it. Unfortunately cosmetics often wins out over technical genius.

sajman99:
Yes, MyDefrag won't win any beauty contests. ;D  Other defraggers like those from Auslogics and IObit certainly look better with their more conventional interfaces--no contest there. But I think developer Jereon Kessels is on to something with JkDefrag and now MyDefrag. Considering it's free, I definitely consider it worthwhile software; I just wish the logfile was more complete like JkDefrag.

I checked out DiskTune which is also a good freeware defragger, but if you want to talk about slooooow...

MilesAhead:
I noticed when I did a Crystal Disk benchmark after a MyDefrag Fast Optimize(which I guess is going to be called Optimize Daily now?) the performance for small random reads/writes went up quite a bit. I'm guessing it's because it defrags in "zones" rather than just trying to pack everything to the front.  The disk head didn't have to hop over the entire partition contents to write the files.

I think even the numbers for large contiguous reads and writes went up a bit too.

sajman99:
IMHO the free (for private and non-commercial use) version of Puran Defrag now gives MyDefrag some serious competition.

In particular, Puran's boot time defrag is very nice for a free defragger. I don't really know yet if I'll replace MyDefrag with Puran, but my initial impressions of Puran are favorable.

http://www.puransoftware.com/Puran-Defrag-Download.html       
http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/2010/01/purandefrag-for-home-users-at-no-cost.html

MilesAhead:
IMHO the free (for private and non-commercial use) version of Puran Defrag now gives MyDefrag some serious competition.
-sajman99 (February 19, 2010, 01:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

I like Puran.  In the abstract I'm against the concept of defragging while the drive is in use. But I tried doing an Idle priority defrag(with no optimizations set) while downloading.  Worked fine.  I think MyDefrag does a good job but I never liked the OSD for that program. Puran with the colored blocks is more to my preference.

I know I can get other GUIs for MyDefrag but the only script I ever use is Daily Optimize, which is roughly equivalent to Puran with the optimizations checked. I used Auslogics for the quickie defrag.  Instead of alternating those 2 now I can just do Puran.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version