ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (30/36) > >>

Tuxman:
There's nothing unusual, nothing out of place about the FireFox UI.-tranglos (October 20, 2009, 08:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
Depends. You can turn off the menu bar (not "usual" on Windows), you can place everything anywhere (same), and "native" skins are supported since v3, before they were quite... well... "unusual".

Tuxman:
And truly multiplatform.-urlwolf (October 20, 2009, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
Java is just as multiplatform as C/C++. No libs, no execution.  :P

I haven't had to touch a single config file since moving to jedit. With vim, I was tweaking my vimrc every day.-urlwolf (October 20, 2009, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
I haven't touched my vimrc for weeks now. But I could tweak it a lot more, that's the point.

kartal:
I also think that Gvim`s color syntax customization is superior to anything out there if you put your time into it. There is not any limit to it really.-kartal (October 20, 2009, 12:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
Isn't VIM's highlighting scheme based on regular expressions, rather than proper lexing?
-f0dder (October 20, 2009, 02:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
Which, btw, is the case with EditPadPro's highlighting scheme.
-TucknDar (October 20, 2009, 05:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I guess my claim was too ambitious. I have not used any of those commercial editors out there including EditPadPro.

I have used PsPad, Notepad++, Programmers NotePad, Editra etc. None of those satisfied my needs really(customization mainly). All are powerful and great. But when it comes to customization Gvim is the king in my view.

I use Python for some spesific application scripting and programming. So most of the libraries come from these applications and are not system wide things. That is why having ability to customize the colors or autocompletion properly was a big deal for me.

marcopolo2:
Very nice review but I wonder does any of them have my dream-like functionality: live filter with column mode
-fenixproductions (April 27, 2009, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I hope its okay to updtae the thread as things have, moved on a bit in xml, take a look at Liquid XML Editor which is a fairly new entrant but very well built, just look at its fancy graphical interface.

tranglos:
I hope its okay to updtae the thread as things have, moved on a bit in xml, take a look at Liquid XML Editor which is a fairly new entrant but very well built, just look at its fancy graphical interface.-marcopolo2 (November 25, 2011, 02:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Looking good, thanks! If I didn't have my Oxygen licence, I'd definitely be giving this one a try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version