ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (29/36) > >>

TucknDar:
I also think that Gvim`s color syntax customization is superior to anything out there if you put your time into it. There is not any limit to it really.-kartal (October 20, 2009, 12:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
Isn't VIM's highlighting scheme based on regular expressions, rather than proper lexing?
-f0dder (October 20, 2009, 02:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
Which, btw, is the case with EditPadPro's highlighting scheme.

tranglos:
And for that, TextPad et al are better, because they are "more standard", if you will.-tranglos (October 18, 2009, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
A "standard" is the standard you define. Some say Office 2007 is a standard, too.  :D
-Tuxman (October 19, 2009, 01:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, I meant "standard" as in "behaves more like every other Windows application". And yes, Office 2007 breaks with those standards all over the place, as does window management in Office 2003. That, too, annoys me :-)

Tuxman:
Why should a multi-platform application (Vim, eclipse, ...) act like a Windows application?

tranglos:
Why should a multi-platform application (Vim, eclipse, ...) act like a Windows application?
-Tuxman (October 20, 2009, 07:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's no law that it has to, but it's almost always better when it does.

(The following is a general remark, not related to the current state of g/vi/m):

It may no longer be the case now, but for years multiplatform apps rectricted themselves to the lowest common denominator of what's available on all supported platforms, and then further to what could be done via a remote terminal. So no arrow keys, because some systems didn't have those, no function keys, no shift key selection, etc. That was in the shell / telnet, but today I'm still seeing Java apps without context menus in text boxes. Or apps where Ctrl+C works, but Ctrl+Insert does not - because the clipboard support was hardwired manually and is incomplete. By contrast, when your application is native, it gets all the clipboard functionality for free, by "birthright", as it were.

It takes a lot of work to reimplement all the clipboard features or all the functionality something even relatively simple as a standard Windows textbox. Some multiplatform apps don't do that, and it's understandable. I just won't use them if they don't.

I'm weird that way. If the 'A' key does the same thing in every editor, I believe the 'Home' key should also do the same. Anything else strains my patience, and I've yet to find an app with enough redeeming features to compensate for feeling alien on Windows.

I think the fantastic success of FireFox on Windows is partly due to the fact that it respects Windows rules all the way. There's nothing unusual, nothing out of place about the FireFox UI. And I expect it does the same on Macs and other platforms it supports. It must have taken an enormous work to make it that way.

urlwolf:
Some here know that I was a diehard vim user.
I have since moved to Jedit. It's heads and shoulders above any other editor I know. Surprisingly easy to configure, lots of plugins that work well together and update easily... even portable (if you put javaw on the same folder). And truly multiplatform.
I haven't had to touch a single config file since moving to jedit. With vim, I was tweaking my vimrc every day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version