ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (28/36) > >>

Tuxman:
Which toolbars? :)-f0dder (October 19, 2009, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
I was talking about UE this time ...

However:

The Best Of: text editors

*shrug*

Lashiec:
... bloated?

I can't see the attractiveness in dozens of toolbars. I don't even need a single one.
-Tuxman (October 19, 2009, 10:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just poking some fun at UNIX editors :). For the record I use Notepad2, which is anything but bloated. A single toolbar, and free as well. I have PSPad for more serious uses, but most times I end up using Code::Blocks. In my opinion, there's an extremely thin line between when to use a full featured text editor or a good IDE, so no wonder I end up crossing it.

Jussi Jumppanen:
But I'm sure that Vim is the fastest might-be-used-as-an-IDE editor out there.
-f0dder (October 19, 2009, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

How do you define fastest?

Zeus is an IDE like editor and it starts in about a second, file load times are generally under a second and the keyboard response is always snappy.

Zeus even supports the project/workspace model and a workspaces with several thousand files will generally open in a second or two.

kartal:
Phew ... I wonder if there is one thing that EmEditor or UltraEdit can but Vim can't ...  :-*
-Tuxman (October 18, 2009, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

At what cost, though? Between spending $20 on a text editor and 2 years on figuring out the basics of (g)vi(m), I'n not even hesitating :)

I've approached it on several occasions. I decided not to bother anymore when I saw this image in the Wikipedia article on vi:
 (see attachment in previous post)
Note the placement of colon: somewhat awkwardly on the numeric row, but does not require the Shift key. On most keyboards today it does - and that's not convenient.

(I also take issue with the whole host of commands that take a repeat count argument. Vi(m) manuals love to elaborate on those, but how often do you count characters before you delete them? There's something to be said for Shift+nav keys selection! Of course one is free not to use those peculiarities, but then one would be sing vi as a more-or-less standard Windows editor. And for that, TextPad et al are better, because they are "more standard", if you will.)

Well, you asked :) I won't speak ill of (g)vi(m) again!

-tranglos (October 18, 2009, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can customize all of that in Vim. I use Vim day and night and none of my setups are the ones that  come by default with Vim or Gvim. Vim is very very configurable. There are not many tools out there that can use multiple keys as shortcuts to invoke commands or do somethings. I am a shortcut freak and I found the heaven in Vim. The only drawback of Vim is that it cannot handle couple keys so well (like , ,.)  due to different terminal emulation modes it needs to satisfy on different platforms.

I also think that Gvim`s color syntax customization is superior to anything out there if you put your time into it. There is not any limit to it really. Most editors I have used in the past offered menu based customization, but the problem with that approach  is that if something is not in the menu you cannot really change it. That is not the case with Gvim.

f0dder:
I also think that Gvim`s color syntax customization is superior to anything out there if you put your time into it. There is not any limit to it really.-kartal (October 20, 2009, 12:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
Isn't VIM's highlighting scheme based on regular expressions, rather than proper lexing?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version