ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (27/36) > >>

f0dder:
it loads slower than Notepad++-f0dder (October 19, 2009, 01:32 AM)
--- End quote ---
Depends on your configuration.
-Tuxman (October 19, 2009, 10:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
Standard install of gvim vs standard install of Notepad++ - load speed noticably slower even running on a 10k rpm raptor drive; obviously worse when on a 7200rpm laptop drive.

Not saying vim is a bad editor, but it's not the end-all-be-all perfect tool for everybody.

Tuxman:
Standard install of gvim vs standard install of Notepad++-f0dder (October 19, 2009, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
You can easily make N++ bloated by using too many plug-ins. You can easily keep your Vim tiny and fast by setting the right options (no colors, vi compatibility and stuff). I must confess, however, that I don't have any benchmarks about that. But I'm sure that Vim is the fastest might-be-used-as-an-IDE editor out there.

it's not the end-all-be-all perfect tool for everybody.-f0dder (October 19, 2009, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
If there was such a thing, no-one would need any other editor, right? That's the great thing about perfectness: There is always a thing that comes closer to it.

Lashiec:
Phew ... I wonder if there is one thing that EmEditor or UltraEdit can but Vim can't ...  :-*
-Tuxman (October 18, 2009, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Being attractive, usable? :P

Tuxman:
... bloated?

I can't see the attractiveness in dozens of toolbars. I don't even need a single one.

f0dder:
Standard install of gvim vs standard install of Notepad++-f0dder (October 19, 2009, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
You can easily make N++ bloated by using too many plug-ins. You can easily keep your Vim tiny and fast by setting the right options (no colors, vi compatibility and stuff). I must confess, however, that I don't have any benchmarks about that. But I'm sure that Vim is the fastest might-be-used-as-an-IDE editor out there.-Tuxman (October 19, 2009, 10:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
NP++ isn't bloated in the standard install, which is what I'm talking about - and yet it has full syntax highlighting etc.

I wouldn't call gvim bloated either, but fact is that in standard install (with syntax highlighting and the features I want), it loads slower than NP++, and doesn't really offer any advantages for my usage patterns.

I can't see the attractiveness in dozens of toolbars. I don't even need a single one.-Tuxman (October 19, 2009, 10:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
Which toolbars? :)

The Best Of: text editors

...I could hide menubar, tabbar and statusbar if I wanted to, but I find those useful and I have enough screen real estate for them anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version