ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (26/36) > >>

tranglos:
Phew ... I wonder if there is one thing that EmEditor or UltraEdit can but Vim can't ...  :-*
-Tuxman (October 18, 2009, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

At what cost, though? Between spending $20 on a text editor and 2 years on figuring out the basics of (g)vi(m), I'n not even hesitating :)

I've approached it on several occasions. I decided not to bother anymore when I saw this image in the Wikipedia article on vi:

Note the placement of colon: somewhat awkwardly on the numeric row, but does not require the Shift key. On most keyboards today it does - and that's not convenient.

(I also take issue with the whole host of commands that take a repeat count argument. Vi(m) manuals love to elaborate on those, but how often do you count characters before you delete them? There's something to be said for Shift+nav keys selection! Of course one is free not to use those peculiarities, but then one would be sing vi as a more-or-less standard Windows editor. And for that, TextPad et al are better, because they are "more standard", if you will.)

Well, you asked :) I won't speak ill of (g)vi(m) again!

Tuxman:
Handle huge files efficiently? :)-f0dder (October 18, 2009, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Works. (Depending on your definition of "huge", but you should figure out first what a "text editor" is intended to do for you.)

At what cost, though? Between spending $20 on a text editor and 2 years on figuring out the basics of (g)vi(m), I'n not even hesitating :)-tranglos (October 18, 2009, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
A steep learning curve is common to most today's text editors. But Vim has a tutorial for that. Built-in.  :)

There's something to be said for Shift+nav keys selection!-tranglos (October 18, 2009, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
Discard the "Shift" key thing, and you'll have the Visual Mode. :P

then one would be sing vi as a more-or-less standard Windows editor-tranglos (October 18, 2009, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nothing wrong with that.

And for that, TextPad et al are better, because they are "more standard", if you will.-tranglos (October 18, 2009, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
A "standard" is the standard you define. Some say Office 2007 is a standard, too.  :D

f0dder:
Handle huge files efficiently? :)-f0dder (October 18, 2009, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Works. (Depending on your definition of "huge", but you should figure out first what a "text editor" is intended to do for you.)-Tuxman (October 19, 2009, 01:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
No, it doesn't - it handles "normal size" files just fine, but definitely not "huge" files. I fortunatnely don't need this functionality myself, but some people do.

VIM is cute and all, but it loads slower than Notepad++ and doesn't really offer me any tangible advantages. Sure, things like being able to quickly mark an inner {} block is nice, but I always forget the keystrokes and - frankly - I spend a lot more time thinking than typing :)

AbteriX:
Sure, things like being able to quickly mark an inner {} block is nice,
but I always forget the keystrokes and - frankly - I spend a lot more time thinking than typing :)-f0dder (October 19, 2009, 01:32 AM)
--- End quote ---
Being a VIM user myself (well, from time to time) i found that's nice
with HippoEDIT: just press Alt+ArrowDown inside of braces or quotes  :Thmbsup: (Read more... at point 19)

Tuxman:
it loads slower than Notepad++-f0dder (October 19, 2009, 01:32 AM)
--- End quote ---
Depends on your configuration.

but I always forget the keystrokes-f0dder (October 19, 2009, 01:32 AM)
--- End quote ---
"ci}", "change inner }-block". Easier to understand than some weird Alt-Arrow-Metakey-Whirl-around-and-sing hotkeys.

I guess.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version