ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (23/36) > >>

rjbull:
I'm using Notepad++ 4.2...
-wraith808 (May 28, 2009, 09:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW, they've updated it to 5.4 in the last day or two.

Eóin:
wraith808: huh? Notepad++ on large files? Because of scintilla, it's one of the editors that tend to barf once you try opening something not even remotely huge.
-f0dder (May 28, 2009, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have had Notepad++ grind to a halt on a largish XML file which Programmer's Notepad, also based on Scintilla, handled perfectly. Both had syntax highlighting enabled but perhaps Notepad++ was doing more in the background too. Whatever the reason it did turn me off Notepad++

tide:
Thanks, all,for the feedback. I would still think that the need for a text editor to handle humongous files would be rare but I'm sure it's a lifesaver when you do need it. I probably haven't even read 100,000+ pages of text in my entire lifetime let alone having read that much in a single text file.

f0dder:
Thanks, all,for the feedback. I would still think that the need for a text editor to handle humongous files would be rare but I'm sure it's a lifesaver when you do need it. I probably haven't even read 100,000+ pages of text in my entire lifetime let alone having read that much in a single text file.-tide (May 28, 2009, 01:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, there's a few situations where it might come in handy. I don't mind my day-to-day editor not handling huge files very well, if it does everything else I need nicely... I can always bring out a heavy-duty (but probably simpler) editor from the arsenal for special jobs :)

Jussi Jumppanen:
Just tried it on a 60.9MB
-wraith808 (May 28, 2009, 09:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
But in the context of this thread, 60.9MB is not a large file.  Even Zeus will handle 100MB files with out any problems.

The original request for an editor that could handle 1 or 2 Giga byte sized files.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version