ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (19/36) > >>

utility man:
ivery, just curious what kind of field are you in? Are you dealing with huge hex files, database files
--- End quote ---
Our systems input text files that have been produced from other systems. They are regularly in the 1-7 GB range.
Granted that it's not often that we would need to actually edit these files [as opposed to viewing and searching them], but in an ideal world the text editor would enable this function. i.e. you would not need to use a separate file viewer. Ultraedit handles this well, and Emeditor isn't far behind it.

Allen Dang:
Seems no one mentioned about the "Programmer's Notepad", I like this very much!

It is highly customizable, and the most important thing is, it allows to extend the feature with Python!

kartal:
ivery, my main tools are Eclipse and Vim at the moment. Personally I do not need to dissect files like that so anything that is better than notepad is good for me :)

Just curious since I have never tried Vim with big files. Have you tested Vim or Emacs for your needs?

urlwolf:
ivery, just curious what kind of field are you in? Are you dealing with huge hex files, database files
--- End quote ---
Our systems input text files that have been produced from other systems. They are regularly in the 1-7 GB range.
Granted that it's not often that we would need to actually edit these files [as opposed to viewing and searching them], but in an ideal world the text editor would enable this function. i.e. you would not need to use a separate file viewer. Ultraedit handles this well, and Emeditor isn't far behind it.

-ivery (May 05, 2009, 12:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Then, the only sane option is emEditor, I think. It's designed for those cases.

wraith808:
V would be a good option for viewing them- then launch them into another editor for editing... just a thought.  It's what I do, and it works great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version