ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (15/36) > >>

tranglos:
the infamous snippets from textmate
-urlwolf (May 02, 2009, 06:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

What are they?

(The 'e' editor also supports Textmate snippets - they call them bundles - but from the descriptions I could never figure out how they are different from macros or scripts.)

mwang:
- No search and replace in all open documents. Why?
-tranglos (April 27, 2009, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Great reviews. Thanks. Just a small correction, EmEditor does search and replace in open files.

- Relatively weak incremental search (via plugin only, you type in an edit box, Enter focuses the document). My main issue is you need to click the edit control on the toolbar; i.e. cannot initialize incremental search from the keyboard.
-tranglos (April 27, 2009, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can assign a shortcut for it, can't you?

urlwolf:
@tranglos: incremental search works emEditor 9 alpha.

tranglos:
Just a small correction, EmEditor does search and replace in open files.  (see attachment in previous post)
-mwang (May 02, 2009, 08:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks! That feature was absent for a long time and I never noticed it finally arrived - how perceptive of me :)  I'll update the review.

- Relatively weak incremental search (via plugin only, you type in an edit box, Enter focuses the document). My main issue is you need to click the edit control on the toolbar; i.e. cannot initialize incremental search from the keyboard.
-tranglos
--- End quote ---
You can assign a shortcut for it, can't you?
-mwang (May 02, 2009, 08:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure if you can assign shortcuts to plugin functions - will have to check that.

Jussi Jumppanen:
I can't find one editor that does everything that I need.-ivery (April 28, 2009, 07:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
OK, as the author of the Zeus for Windows editor/IDE, I'll bite ;)

Your Good Points

Under constant development
--- End quote ---
As is Zeus.

support requests are answered promptly
--- End quote ---
Any forum question is generally answered in 24-48 hours.

somewhat extensible through scripting - I don't think Activex objects are creatable though
large file handling
--- End quote ---
It is extensible through scripting.

one of my first tests when evaluating a text editor is it's ability to handle a multi-line regular expression search and replace.
Emeditor handles this without problem or the need to learn an obscure flavour of regex.
--- End quote ---
Zeus uses the \n character to represent the line feed and it uses the perl/unix flavour of regex.

macro recording, editing, storing, etc is the cleanest and most usable that I've seen
--- End quote ---
Recording a macro: F7 do your stuff F7
Playback the recorded macro: F8
Load a saved macro: F9
Playback the recorded macro: F8

All Zeus macros scripts are just texts files so they are very easy to edit.

highly extensible via macros and plugins.
--- End quote ---
Zeus is scriptable but does not have any plugin expansion option.

block selection mode just works.
--- End quote ---
Yes it does ;)

enable it temporarily when selecting via mouse, allows pasting from clipboard into selected block, zero width blocks, etc, etc.
--- End quote ---
It has column, line, block and ragged mouse marking modes and they are mouse and/or keyboard driven.

multiple concurrent selections - when enabled, many non-contiguous text sections can be selected, copied, pasted, etc. I haven't seen this in any other text editor.
--- End quote ---
Zeus does not do this :(

Your Bad Points

recording and saving macros is very un-intuitive.
--- End quote ---
Zeus scripts are wrtten in the scripting language chosen by the user (i.e Lua, Python, VbScript, Java Script, Tcl etc).

They are just text file and contain scripting code in the language of choice.

multiple regular expression engines supported - this should be a positive, but I find it a bit confusing when I have to switch between them occasionally.
--- End quote ---
Zeus uses a perl/unix regular expression engine.

Some have said this is a poor choice for a regexp engine but personally I find it very useful, since any vim, emacs, awk, sed, perl, python regexp will more often than not also work in Zeus ;)

finding stuff in the default menu structure and options screens is difficult.
--- End quote ---
Documentation is always an issue :(

no built in support for file comparison and the plug-in is clunky and basic.
--- End quote ---
It has built-in file difference and also has an option for external file difference.

other functionality provided by plugins are not as polished as the built-in versions in other editors. e.g. sorting, extracting lines containing a search string, etc.
--- End quote ---
Zeus has built-in sorting and can also extracting lines containing a search string. It does this by wrapping a gui dialog around the fgrep tool.

same scripting documentation issues as Ultraedit
--- End quote ---
Documentation can always be better but the forum does help ;)

takes a bit of time to set it up as, out of the box, it is fairly spartan.
--- End quote ---
It can also takes time to setup.

Being java-based, it doesn't handle large files well.
--- End quote ---
Zeus will load a 10 meg file in about 4 seconds.

For some reason, the font rendering on some low-end LCDs is pretty rough. I'm not sure if this is the fault of the JRE, Jedit or how I have configured stuff.
--- End quote ---
Zeus is a windows application so the fonts are handled by windows.

No print preview.
--- End quote ---
It also has no print preview :(

Plugins are especially useful for integrating with other tools, e.g. clearcase, scripting engines, command interpreters, etc, etc.
--- End quote ---
It can integrate with Clearcase, Visual Studio, Perforce, Subversion, CVS etc version controls and can run almost any command line.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version