ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (14/36) > >>

superboyac:
I just tried hippo and I think it could very well be my choice. It copies emEditor in many ways, and adds some improvements. emEditor will be the best for large files and unicode, though.

Where both are kind of lost is when doing ctags stuff (more IDE-like).

The thing with hippo is that it seems to implement new features a lot faster than emEditor (which is very very slow). It could take the crown easily, I'd say.
-urlwolf (May 02, 2009, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
I agree.  To me, it's just as fast as EmEditor, and I like that the author is active here and on his own forum.  It also has some cool visual features.  I wish I knew about it during the BDJ sale!

As I said before, I look at editors almost entirely from a plain text viewpoint.  I do about 1% programming.  So my primary concern is speed, and Hippo is tops at that.  The other things I like, even with just text files, are line numbering features, indentation features.  I also like it if the program has useful dialogs for placing around the main window like all editors have the file browser, but some have clipboard managers, search panes, etc.  I like those things if they apply to plain text.

So I'm probably in the minority here in that my needs are almost purely plain text, but like all my preferred software, I appreciate speed, a well-designed interface, and useful features.  Hippo seems to be all of that.  So good work, <author> (I don't know your name).

EmEditor is still good, but it's exciting to know that new features are always coming in hippo.  So between the two, i would pick hippo for now.

There's my plain-text user mini-mini-shootout!  Sometimes I feel like the only non-programmer who likes notepad alternatives.  I use Notepad++ at work.  Everyone asks me why I don't just use Word.  duh!

tranglos:
EmEditor is still good, but it's exciting to know that new features are always coming in hippo.  So between the two, i would pick hippo for now.
-superboyac (May 02, 2009, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

At the moment, Hippo is certainly the most exciting of the editors in my list.

As for EmEditor though, it has been absolutely solid in my two years of usage. All free upgrades since when I bought it at version 6 (it's now at 8). I'd say the high points of EmEditor are the unparalelled configurabilty and flawless handling of all encodings you care to throw at it. An important benefit I don't think I mentioned in my OP is that EmEditor detects correctly UTF-8 files without the byte order mark. I'm sure it's not the only editor with that capabilty any more, but it was one of the first, and Unicode cleanless was obviously one of the author's goals. The localization engineers I worked with would use nothing else.

What's turning me off of EmEditor is that the author seems to be pretty much satisfied with his work, and improvements are indeed slow in coming. It's my default editor at the moment, while I'm playing with Hippo's goodies.

superboyac:
What's turning me off of EmEditor is that the author seems to be pretty much satisfied with his work, and improvements are indeed slow in coming. It's my default editor at the moment, while I'm playing with Hippo's goodies.
-tranglos (May 02, 2009, 02:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think I'm probably in the same situation.

mwb1100:
Where both are kind of lost is when doing ctags stuff (more IDE-like).
-urlwolf (May 02, 2009, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've emailed the HippoEDIT author about this and he says it's on the todo list, but as it's a pretty big change/addition there are no promises or timeline.

urlwolf:
Well, I have to correct my statement that emeditor moves slowly.
In fact, 9 beta implements a bunch of new things, including the infamous snippets from textmate. See:
http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1110&forum=12
(go to the newest post to get latest beta).
Seems plenty healthy pace of adding features to me,...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version