ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (13/36) > >>

rjbull:
OK, I just tried EmEditor...it is REALLY fast.  The fastest one I've tried as far as loading.  I like it a lot.
-superboyac (April 30, 2009, 04:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Be careful of the license.  If you install EmEditor on a corporate computer, you have no right to also install it at home without paying for a second license.  If you only use it at home, you can (IIRC) install it on up to 5 computers of your own.  You can install it as portable to get over the corporate limitation, but for some reason it doesn't run reliably from my USB stick.

HippoEdit is more like a personal license, in that you can use it both at work and at home on only one payment.  Good karma to HippoEdit  :)

superboyac:
You can install it as portable to get over the corporate limitation, but for some reason it doesn't run reliably from my USB stick.
-rjbull (April 30, 2009, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
What do you mean by not running reliably?  Does it crash?  Is it significantly slower?

hippoedit:
Hello tranglos,

thanks for suggestion ;) I understand this is DC forum, but please leave them also on Hippoedit forum, then request would be easier to track ;)

I do hope you can enable the visual guidance features for XML, too, since this is a very common file format. (Note that some of the related options are still enabled for XML under Tools -> Syntax settings, even though they are not currently supported).
--- End quote ---
Yes I realize that, just did not have time to work on XML outlining yet. The settings are available because: indent guides are available in XML ;), outlining can still work because collapsing of comments works (also outlining feature that does not need tag pairs). I am trying to disable features which are not supported in syntax definition, so probably they are supported partially, if enabled.

A word about scripting, if I may.
--- End quote ---
Yes :) I am planning to use MS Active Scripting (same that EmEditor use). There is already discussion about what should be inside on HippoEDIT forum. You can add you comments there, but most already there.

I don't have a lot of new suggestions right now, except maybe to steal a few useful little features from other editors. When editing any tagged format, I like the single-key commands to select (a) the whole tag; (b) the whole contents between a matching pair of tags; (c) a matching pair of tags including the content in between. That's very useful when restructuring a document.
--- End quote ---
Hm.. On of the rules in Hippoedit development I am trying to keep: no specialization of the engine for any specific language. If something is needed - it should be done in generic way and available for all languages (syntaxes). If something is not possible in generic way - it should be done as plug-in or script. Otherwise you get such monster program as UltraEdit :)
a), b), c) can be fullfiled partially using ExpandSelection command (Alt+Down)

For HTML and XML editing, the ability to automatically insert a closing tag would help a lot;
--- End quote ---

See comments about specialization before, but also something possible :) You can use code templates (at least for HTML). Do not know about special sync edit for XML tags, but generic synchronized editing in plans. Sync edit for column mode already exist. So, maybe, I would think about special XML edit plug-in in the future.

I see HE uses the 0-9 bookmark scheme, but do you think it would be possible in the future to have either unlimited bookmarks
--- End quote ---
they are already supported - see More bookmarks section in menu.
, or a different implementation that would allow users to perform editing operations on bookmarks lines (or on all lines containing a search term)?
--- End quote ---

Already added in latest betas (check forum): you can search/replace in bookmarked lines, copy/copy append/cut them, delete or invert ;)

Best regards,
Alex.

rjbull:
You can install it as portable to get over the corporate limitation, but for some reason it doesn't run reliably from my USB stick.
-rjbull (April 30, 2009, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
What do you mean by not running reliably?  Does it crash?  Is it significantly slower?
-superboyac (April 30, 2009, 11:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

EmEditor crashed a couple of times, not during basic editing, but first time when doing something with macros, second time when fiddling with configuration.  Speed: it's - naturally - a bit slower to load the first time from USB.  I didn't notice it being slow otherwise, but I don't deal in big files.

urlwolf:
I just tried hippo and I think it could very well be my choice. It copies emEditor in many ways, and adds some improvements. emEditor will be the best for large files and unicode, though.

Where both are kind of lost is when doing ctags stuff (more IDE-like).

The thing with hippo is that it seems to implement new features a lot faster than emEditor (which is very very slow). It could take the crown easily, I'd say.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version