ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (11/36) > >>

hippoedit:
Hi tranglos,

thanks for comparison and thread ;) It gives some ideas what people need more.

Some comments about the Hippoedit review:

* Name - too late to change ;) I had some reasons for such selection. There is already a forum thread (Hippoedit forum) about this :)
* The hierarchy bar, indentation guides, nesting indicators etc. - really, does not work for xml. Reason is HippoEDIT nature :) All syntax highlighting, outlining, autocomletion etc based on generic syntax schemes. Nothing is hardcoded for special language (as in all Scintilla based editors or editors where you have something like C++ or HTML style in definitions). And till now I have not invent way to describe rules for outlining XML (it does not have predefined start/end tags). So there s not outlining for XML, and Hierarchy Bar and nesting levels working based on outlining results (better to say not working in case of XML). But this is on to-do and would come. Then Hierarchy Bar etc would work automatically.
* Many toggles in the menu (e.g. options to show/hide a particular element of the interface) are not shown checked or unchecked according to whether an option is enabled. - please write on HippoEDIT forum or to support was exactly is missing. I would fix this. I think indication for bars was already added (last betas).
* No support for macros or scripting at all. - this would be added in next major version - 1.50
Also HE can have several shortcuts for same command and can show unclosed tags or braces in code and on Overview Bar ;).

Just registered to write a response ;)
If you see some problems in HippoEDIT ask on forum or write me personally. Would try as fast as I can ;)

And at the end:
As reviewer you can get a free hippoedit license (details here), if you do not have one already ;) Write me if you need it and do not have yet.

Best regards,
Alex.

rjbull:
For the non-programmers someone should probably start a thread on good, word processors.
-MilesAhead (April 28, 2009, 12:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not for me, thanks.  I don't care what text look like.  Those who do use a DTP program like Microsoft Word.  I need to get plain text down on disk, and edit it, as quickly and easily as possible, with an absolute requirement for plain text so I can search and retrieve information readily with cheap and convenient tools.  There are such things as text databases, e.g. DB/Text Works for Windows, but the company wouldn't buy it.  So plain text is the way to go.  Staying with plain text also allows me to send current awareness bulletins as simple e-mails.  Most of the company insist on either HTML e-mail, or fancy formatting in Word, converting that to PDF and attaching it to a "please read" e-mail, expecting people to fire up the lumbering Acrobat Reader to read five lines of often irrelevant material.

MilesAhead:
Is it not possible to keep the text plain and still use macros, pattern substitutions and paragraph manipulations etc?  I don't know. The only serious use I made of a word processor was on my first PC.  It came with Dos 3.1 and some Dos console based word processor program.  I can't even remember the name of it.

TucknDar:
Just registered to write a response ;)
If you see some problems in HippoEDIT ask on forum or write me personally. Would try as fast as I can ;)

And at the end:
As reviewer you can get a free hippoedit license (details here), if you do not have one already ;) Write me if you need it and do not have yet.

Best regards,
Alex.
-hippoedit (April 28, 2009, 05:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hi, Alex! Welcome to the forums! It's always good to see more developers using the DC forums!  :Thmbsup:

mouser:
Welcome Alex, ditto to what TucknDar said  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version