ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (9/36) > >>

xtabber:
Very nice review but I wonder does any of them have my dream-like functionality: live filter with column mode
-fenixproductions (April 27, 2009, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Kedit does that, although whether or not it meets your ideal may depend on just exactly what kind of filtering you want to do.  I work a lot with fixed field flat file data and this ability allows me to perform editing functions within a field (defined as a vertical column) without affecting the surrounding data in a record (i.e., on each line).  You can also restrict editing to a rectangular selection box within a file.

Kedit's macro language is a version of REXX and you can write programs to do just about anything REXX can handle within a column range or in a rectangular box.

I find I need at least two editors for everyday use because stream oriented editors (the vast majoriity) cannot do the kind of columnar/block editing that I need much of the time, whereas line-oriented editors (Kedit, THE and a few others) cannot do things I need at other times (reflow the display of text without reflowing the text itself, multi-line pattern searching, etc.). These are limitations of basic editor design more than anything else.

My primary (and favorite, by far) editor is Kedit. For when I need a stream-oriented editor, I have tried many over the years, but have recently settled on EditPadPro. I kept SlickEdit up to date for many years but always found it too cumbersome to use as an editor and not quite enough as an IDE and gave up on it altogether sonme time ago.

For working with C programs, I use either Understand (from Scientific Toolworks - $495 and up! Ouch!) or Source Insight from Source Dynamics ($239).  Both are editors with extensive integrated source code analysis capabilities. Understand is much more powerful and handles more languages, but Source Insight works better for some things.

cranioscopical:
I don't like the way Windows works-rjbull (April 28, 2009, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

It works?

:huh:

mouser:
 ;D

urlwolf:
Text editing is a solved problem. Vim or emacs are the two only options :P
(kidding, I have tried most of those editors. I like emEditor the most; I'd still take Vim or emacs for real programming).

MilesAhead:
For the non-programmers someone should probably start a thread on good, word processors. I've tried some of the Open Office stuff afa free wp goes, but I don't use that type enough to even know how to record a macro.  Someone who really is into them should give a breakdown for non-programmers to get places to look for good finds.

btw while we're on the subject of processing text can somebody email those guys who make the editor applets for boards so that when you hit the Enter key the way the stuff looks doesn't change when you hit Post?
Seems like no matter how I word-wrap or hard line break, the stuff comes out jagged lookin' as hell on most boards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version