ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (4/36) > >>

tranglos:
For the screenshot above I turned on all the HippoEdit visual goodies. Note the progressively darkening background, which indicates tag nesting. Again, it's only for html.
-tranglos (April 27, 2009, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
It works for me in the C/C++ modes.  Maybe when you say "only for html" you're meaning it doesn't do it for XML (I can't check at the moment)?
-mwb1100 (April 27, 2009, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks mwb, I've fixed the mentions of html. The visuals work with pascal source code as well, so likely many other syntaxes are supported, too. Even stranger to see xml omitted - time to ask the author to rectify this.

The Bad:

- The name  :)
-tranglos (April 27, 2009, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh - I agree. It seem inconsequential, but the name - and the icon - do bug me a bit (and it kinda bugs me that I find that something like that bugs me...).

-mwb1100 (April 27, 2009, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same here. I guess it doesn't sound slick enough, as if that mattered. But who knows - I suppose it could matter to a corp looking to buy a site license.

superboyac:
Hey, I'm not a (real) programmer, either! I certanly don't use text editors for programming. It doesn't matter what you use a text editor for. In fact I see too many features in text editors that are geared towards coding, as if the authors of text editors were all vying for the same audience, while there isn't always enough attention paid to other kinds of use.

Meanwhile, programmers will probably tend to use specialized IDEs (Visual Studio, CodeGear Name-of-the-Year, Eclipse, etc). The times where you could display line numbers and invoke a compiler and call it an editor for programmers are long, long gone.

The "e" editor is interesting. I tried it some time ago, too early perhaps - it didn't even have any of the clipboard commands you expect in the right-click menu. And I don't know anything about what makes TextMate so great, so their selling point (the "bundles") remains somewhat enigmatic to me. At the time it seemed to have a long way to catch up with the de-facto standard editing features you expect to have in an editor, but when it grows up I'd love to try it again.
-tranglos (April 27, 2009, 04:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
Really?  Aren't you the author of the late, great Keynote?  i wrote a eulogy about you a while back.

Yeah, i don't know much about E, I just thought it was kind of cool.  i rely on people's advice here for the best text editor, because i don't know what to look for.  if you find something that you like, I'll definitely give it a shot!

kartal:
I use Pyscriptter already, but what I am looking for teaching words to the editor not just imported module completion. I know I can use outside programs but I have enough stuff running in my system already :)

Have you tried PyScripter (free)? If I recall correctly, it does code completion for all the included modules, not just the current file. I haven't really used it though, since my Python education has
-tranglos (April 27, 2009, 04:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

tranglos:
Really?  Aren't you the author of the late, great Keynote?  i wrote a eulogy about you a while back.
-superboyac (April 27, 2009, 05:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Guilty as charged. But I'm not a real programmer just like I'm not a real dancer even though I can dance, kind of. I am constantly amazed at the number of things that real programmers know and I have no idea about :)

fenixproductions:
Very nice review but I wonder does any of them have my dream-like functionality: live filter with column mode

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version