ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (3/36) > >>

kartal:
Hey guys do you know any python compatible text editor that can learn new words on the fly(or at least add to library)  for auto completion and highlighting?

tranglos:
Hey guys do you know any python compatible text editor that can learn new words on the fly(or at least add to library)  for auto completion and highlighting?
-kartal (April 27, 2009, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you tried PyScripter (free)? If I recall correctly, it does code completion for all the included modules, not just the current file. I haven't really used it though, since my Python education has long been on hold.

jdmarch:
-kartal (April 27, 2009, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
fwiw... multi-edit - not free, not slick but very capable, totally configurable. Has been my primary editor for 12 years (following a decade with Brief, following several decades with an assortment of editors.)

mwb1100:
For the screenshot above I turned on all the HippoEdit visual goodies. Note the progressively darkening background, which indicates tag nesting. Again, it's only for html.
-tranglos (April 27, 2009, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

It works for me in the C/C++ modes.  Maybe when you say "only for html" you're meaning it doesn't do it for XML (I can't check at the moment)?

The Bad:

- The name  :)
-tranglos (April 27, 2009, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh - I agree. It seem inconsequential, but the name - and the icon - do bug me a bit (and it kinda bugs me that I find that something like that bugs me...).

tranglos:
See also this old roundup of text editors on DC from 2005:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Reviews/Archive/TextEditor/index.html
-mouser (April 27, 2009, 03:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've added a link to that, since it's a classic and lists plenty of editors I've omitted.

With a bit of work perhaps we could create a feature matrix of text editors, in the vein of the CMS Matrix and simlar projects - they're quite useful. Would be a huge sprawling table though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version