ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (2/36) > >>

tranglos:
btw i really like your Good vs. Bad bullet points.. really nice way to convey info.. i might have to steal that in the future.
-mouser (April 27, 2009, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd love for others to add their own points and favorite editors here. UltraEdit is missing from my review, since I don't use it, as are the many free editors: Notepad2, Notepad++ etc, all with their own strong points.

mouser:
I'm a long time UltraEdit user but i dont use 5% of the features.. I'm getting that itch to try one of these other editors.

superboyac:
I'm not a programmer, so I can't comment with authority on this stuff.  but I tried e-text editor once in the past, and i really liked it.  it was simple, good-looking, and just cool.  i don't have much else to say that is specific.  i just had a good feeling about it.
http://www.e-texteditor.com/

cranioscopical:
Nice write up, nice format, tranglos.

This is a great way to get a quick feel for a bunch of software in the same category.
Thanks for taking the time to do this!

tranglos:
I'm not a programmer, so I can't comment with authority on this stuff.  but I tried e-text editor once in the past, and i really liked it.  it was simple, good-looking, and just cool.  i don't have much else to say that is specific.  i just had a good feeling about it.
http://www.e-texteditor.com/
-superboyac (April 27, 2009, 04:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hey, I'm not a (real) programmer, either! I certanly don't use text editors for programming. It doesn't matter what you use a text editor for. In fact I see too many features in text editors that are geared towards coding, as if the authors of text editors were all vying for the same audience, while there isn't always enough attention paid to other kinds of use.

Meanwhile, programmers will probably tend to use specialized IDEs (Visual Studio, CodeGear Name-of-the-Year, Eclipse, etc). The times where you could display line numbers and invoke a compiler and call it an editor for programmers are long, long gone.

The "e" editor is interesting. I tried it some time ago, too early perhaps - it didn't even have any of the clipboard commands you expect in the right-click menu. And I don't know anything about what makes TextMate so great, so their selling point (the "bundles") remains somewhat enigmatic to me. At the time it seemed to have a long way to catch up with the de-facto standard editing features you expect to have in an editor, but when it grows up I'd love to try it again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version