ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (10/36) > >>

steeladept:
Regarding TextPad...
- No folding, no rectangular selection, no indentation guides or nesting indicators

--- End quote ---
This is not quite true if I understand it correctly.  The No folding is true, but the no rectangular selection is clearly wrong (though it doesn't necessarily make sense where it is).  Cntrl +Q,B is the hotkey for Block Select (it is also listed under Configure menu item).  Though there are no guides per se for the indentation, it can be set by the user to any set number of characters and it repeats (no differential indention depending on level unfortunately, but then you might want to use OOo or Word for that complex a document anyway  ;) ).  Lastly nesting indicator - um, don't know what that is so no comment.

Hope that helps you with some of the bad there.  You certainly nailed all it's other weak points that I see (and some I didn't).

tranglos:
This is not quite true if I understand it correctly.  The No folding is true, but the no rectangular selection is clearly wrong (though it doesn't necessarily make sense where it is).  Cntrl +Q,B is the hotkey for Block Select (it is also listed under Configure menu item).
-steeladept (April 28, 2009, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks a lot, steeladept, I'll fix the description.

tranglos:
Lastly nesting indicator - um, don't know what that is so no comment.
-steeladept (April 28, 2009, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure if that's a good name - it's what HippoEdit seems to have invented (at least I'd never seen it before). HippoEdit progressively changes the shade of the background color, making it darker as the nesting level of tags increases:

I suppose indentation guides serve practically the same purpose; I was just a little gushy about Hippo, since it seems to do it all in the visual department, though still misses other functionality.

superboyac:
Hippo seems cool.

fenixproductions:
Very nice review but I wonder does any of them have my dream-like functionality: live filter with column mode
-fenixproductions (April 27, 2009, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think so. I agree it would be very useful. Have you found it anywhere else?-tranglos (April 28, 2009, 06:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
No. That is why I've asked.

Copying "visible lines" could be not so bad but will importing them back not "break" the rest of the file? If I had to choose I would rather stay with regexp instead.

2xtabber
I'll check their demo version to know is it what I want but I doubt I will use it after that. It would not be wise to buy this application only because of that functionality IMHO. Other free editors suit my needs pretty well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version