ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (32/36) > >>

40hz:
that's for lifetime updates also.
-wraith808 (January 24, 2013, 08:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

At the risk of sounding cynical: Warning! Warning! Warning!

I've pretty much given up on believing in "lifetime" licenses. Not that it matters all that much in my case. If I see something I want in an upgrade, I usually have no objection to paying for it - as long as it's not just to get a bug fixed.

superboyac:
Edi has some cool features.  May be worth getting...

wraith808:
that's for lifetime updates also.
--- End quote ---

At the risk of sounding cynical: Warning! Warning! Warning!

I've pretty much given up on believing in "lifetime" licenses. Not that it matters all that much in my case. If I see something I want in an upgrade, I usually have no objection to paying for it - as long as it's not just to get a bug fixed.
-40hz (January 24, 2013, 08:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's a per developer thing.  I still have quite a few things that I get updates for regularly that I've only paid once for.  There are fewer and fewer, but they are still there.

superboyac:
Edi - Text Editor (PC) on Bits du Jour, Friday 25 January 2013 at $15 instead of $30

http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/edi-text-editor
http://www.edi-texteditor.com/en/index.html
-Curt (January 24, 2013, 02:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

From the page, that's for lifetime updates also.
--- End quote ---
Just fyi, it's not lifetime anything really.  no major deal there as far as I'm concerned.

You're right Danny. All updates are for free but major upgrades can be charged. The same as with Windows versions. For Win7 you pay only once the whole price. The next major release - Win8 - you buy for the upgrade price only.
--- End quote ---
So when they come up with a new version in a few months, you will have to pay for it.  Again, all these software guys love to throw in the word "lifetime", and they love to play games with minor/major words and update/upGRADE, etc.  Point is, as 40hz says, hardly any companies are going to do real lifetime anything anymore.  It really doesn't make much business sense.  But if they do...hooray for us!

What annoys me is they talk as if even lifetime updates are a big deal, when it's not.  Who cares?  Don't even mention it.  They talk as if most software actually stops working after a certain period of time when the license runs out.  Ridiculous.  Can you imagine?  You're using a text editor, and all of a sudden the installed version you have just stops working until you pay again?!  Nobody would ever buy that again!  Yes, thank you for being so generous as to allow me to use an old version forever, how kind and unique of you.  The only software I know of that works like that is very expensive, custom enterprise software.

wraith808:
Can you imagine?  You're using a text editor, and all of a sudden the installed version you have just stops working until you pay again?!  Nobody would ever buy that again!  Yes, thank you for being so generous as to allow me to use an old version forever, how kind and unique of you.  The only software I know of that works like that is very expensive, custom enterprise software.
-superboyac (January 24, 2013, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, not true.  It does happen with other software- especially subscription based software services.  But yeah, they play games with terminology.

But in this case, they're directly going against what their website says, i.e.

Is Edi freeware?
No, but the offer is fair - you may test Edi for 30 days free of charge and without any obligation. If you like it, you can buy it. You pay only once. The price includes lifetime updates for free. Edi is great value for money.

--- End quote ---

(Emphasis mine) That's the only reason that I mentioned it, because it was featured so prominently on the site.  So shame on them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version