ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (21/36) > >>

urlwolf:
One note on emeditor...
The dev is pumping out features really fast.
He really pays attention to users.
Subscribe to the beta versions forum thread and you will see.

I love this kind of synergy between dev and users...

jeromg:
Hey DCers,

I really like emeditor too, the only issue for me is when working on huge files (100Mb+) it tends to be a bit slow (even though it works fine), then I prefer TextPad. And when in need for more advanced tools (and just for the fun), I use Vim (if someone asks why... I started working a looong time ago as a C developer on Sun workstations where the only decent editor was Vi).

Cheers  /jerome

tide:
Very often, I see text editors advertised as being able to handle huge files (100+ Mb) and people commenting that they work on those incredibly large files. It boggles my mind and I wonder what kind of files are you working on that are so hefty? That's equivalent to 50,000 pages or more of text. Is the capability of editing 100's of megabytes all that common as a requirement for a text editor?

superboyac:
Very often, I see text editors advertised as being able to handle huge files (100+ Mb) and people commenting that they work on those incredibly large files. It boggles my mind and I wonder what kind of files are you working on that are so hefty? That's equivalent to 50,000 pages or more of text. Is the capability of editing 100's of megabytes all that common as a requirement for a text editor?
-tide (May 28, 2009, 02:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I also wonder the same thing.  (No offense to anyone, i swear!) but sometimes I think it's one of those things where people pick one really minor issue about a program and just get totally hung up on it.  I know I catch myself doing that sometimes.

urlwolf:
Well, a text file of around 60-100mb (which I have to deal with often) does take a few seconds on any editor that puts it in memory. EmEditor is the only one that streams it.

I wish excel would do that too.

In fact, data analysis with large datasets is becoming more and more common. Just look at how big anything online is (databases). Even if one subsets the whole table that is to be analyzed, something in the order of megs can come out...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version