ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Hotkey nostalgia

<< < (2/4) > >>

cranioscopical:
there was one really famous one for DOS, but i can't remember the name of it.. Maybe made by Norton?
-mouser (April 26, 2009, 05:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're not thinking of Borland Sidekick?

[edit: simultaneous posting with the previous two posts, apparently  :-[]

cranioscopical:
I think the most famous was Borland Sidekick.  I never had it myself but that was like the killer TSR app at least for 8086.  Also there was a task swapper thing I had.  I forget the name of it. 
-MilesAhead (April 26, 2009, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sidekick was *really* useful in its day.
I still have a copy of Sidekick 98 on one of my machines.
As to the later, QEMM?

MilesAhead:
I think the most famous was Borland Sidekick.  I never had it myself but that was like the killer TSR app at least for 8086.  Also there was a task swapper thing I had.  I forget the name of it. 
-MilesAhead (April 26, 2009, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sidekick was *really* useful in its day.
I still have a copy of Sidekick 98 on one of my machines.
As to the later, QEMM?

-cranioscopical (April 26, 2009, 06:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

No I remember Qemm and Deskview. I think we messed around with a trail or demo and also QNix.  But the one I'm talking about wasn't hi memory or expanded memory. It actually used the demand paged virtual memory supported in hardware on the 386. I think it went away after a short time.  One of those things that was technically superior but didn't have the backing of some of the virtual memory products like VM86 or whatever it was.  Maybe being 386 only killed it.  At that time the people with money to spend had a Compaq DeskPro 286 and 386 systems were just coming in.

MilesAhead:
I think it was this one
http://www.conklinsystems.com/vmos.htm

I found info on qnix too.  Amazing what still shows up on google. :)

cranioscopical:
I think it was this one
http://www.conklinsystems.com/vmos.htm-MilesAhead (April 26, 2009, 07:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the link

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version