ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Circle Dock

Major impact on Graphics Speed.

(1/5) > >>

Dormouse:
I was testing the ViewingDale (RPG mapping/VTT) application and found that I could not run it despite having a system that should have had no problems (Radeon/Dual Core/plenty of RAM). ViewingDale uses OpenGL and the graphics card.

On using the ViewingDale Test application, I found that I was running at 4 frames a second rather than the hundreds it should have been at.
Updated drivers etc, and then started looking at individual processes using the ViewingDale Test App to see what differences were made when I suspended or unloaded various processes.
Exiting CircleDock moved me up to approx 300 frames a second.

I do have a lot of icons on the dock (c100 give or take), but certainly wasn't expecting it to be having this effect. Haven't noticed any effect on other progs, but there must be some. May be to do with .net (I have the most recent version), or the Radeon or drivers, or something else in the background. I'm reluctant to go without CD most of the time, but I'll certainly be looking out for any possible impact on graphics.

f0dder:
Hm, that sounds pretty weird.

Can you try running some other OpenGL stuff and see if that's also affected by having CircleDock launched?

Dormouse:
Can you try running some other OpenGL stuff and see if that's also affected by having CircleDock launched?
-f0dder (April 23, 2009, 07:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

What sort of stuff usually runs OpenGL?

Hmmm, I had a look at the Wikipedia list and I don't run much that is on it. Photoshop occasionally. Don't play the games. Haven't noticed anything.

sgtevmckay:
I hate to admit it, but you have hit an issue, I do not have an immediate answer for, most embarrassing.

Any ways, the only time that I have noticed slowing in CircleDock and my system slowing is having a lot of custom Icons, that are large. In order to speed up boot time, and Launcher speed, was to either go back to the original Icons, or reduce the size of the custom icons.

I have never noticed a large decrease in overall systems performance/resources while using CD, most times it sit very quiet in the background an does nothing, after load. While using CD, it may us 0.3% to 0.7% of my system resources, and that is while it is spinning, the Stacks uses a little more when open.

But I am unsure that this is related to your issue!

Dormouse:
I'd never noticed any effect of CD on any of my progs before.
Might be because they don't use OpenGPL, I suppose. But this one is very reproducable. Fast without CD, extraordinarily slow with it. Actually, I'll do the test in software emulation to see whether it affects that too. That will be about 10 hours away though; need to be out now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version