ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > FARR Plugins and Aliases

FARR plugin: FARR Windows Search 0.3.0

<< < (35/36) > >>

CGA:

This is what I get:  

-CGA (November 24, 2011, 01:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

You don't have much indexed there. You could click on "Modify" and see what folders and files are being indexed.

Also look at one of my previous posts where I explain how to reset the indexing process (you might have to re-enable indexing for folders before you can do anything).
-Armando (November 24, 2011, 11:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Z: and Y: are mapped network shares containing thousands of indexed documents. There is no problem searching them with Windows Search. I'll have a look at resetting.

Armando:
Z: and Y: are mapped network shares containing thousands of indexed documents. There is no problem searching them with Windows Search. I'll have a look at resetting.
-CGA (November 24, 2011, 11:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, exactly, that's what I meant : you potentially have much much more files and folders to index. So there's obviously something wrong with the index settings (it currently says : 9473 items indexed).

Here's the post about resetting that option I was referring to earlier (: "Allow Indexing Service to Index this disk for fast file searching") it was in another thread, sorry about that : https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=27116.msg268552#msg268552

phitsc:
Thanks phitsc.
if you specify 25 there, you'll never get more than 25 result items.

--- End quote ---

Yes I understood that. However, what I don't understand is :

A)
- I set 45 as the max
- I search for some term ("Denise")
- There are much more then 25 items found (e.g. : status bar says  75)
- But farr shows only a few : 32

Ok, so this could be because of what you said earlier. But there's more :

B)
- I set 100 as the max
- I search for the same term ("Denise)
- Now status bar says that it found 100 results (why ? before it said 75 and the max was set to 45)
- farr shows only a few : 49 (Why 49, which is more than the previous 32, and at the same time doesn't seem to increase proportionally -- well not in an obvious way)

In any case, setting the max displayed items to 100 or more helps getting what I want, but there's still something funny about the way windows search and farr interact.

If I search for the same term in the normal windows search interface, I get 538 results. Granted, some might be shortcuts etc., but it's still a huge difference (compared to 100 or 75). Strange  :tellme:
-Armando (November 24, 2011, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ok, that is indeed strange. I'll check it out.

FarrWindowsSearch will query for is the 25 (or whatever you choose) most recently changed items in the Search Index, matching your search terms. FARR will then show you however many of these as you've specified in the FARR Display Options. I think FARR will also do its own filtering, e.g. if you have two file results point at the same file (don't know if that is a practical case) it will end up only once in the list.
-phitsc (November 24, 2011, 06:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the precisions. I got that you chose to present the most recently changed items. I'm ok with that, as long as "terms matching" has the topmost priority... Right ?
-Armando (November 24, 2011, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that's correct.

CGA:
-CGA (November 24, 2011, 11:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, exactly, that's what I meant : you potentially have much much more files and folders to index. So there's obviously something wrong with the index settings (it currently says : 9473 items indexed).

Here's the post about resetting that option I was referring to earlier (: "Allow Indexing Service to Index this disk for fast file searching") it was in another thread, sorry about that : https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=27116.msg268552#msg268552

-Armando (November 24, 2011, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
Tried resetting but unfortunately didn't work. I'm guessing there's something wrong with the way the plugin queries Windows Search as WS is working correctly and finds everything I want. Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that this is a work computer and me not being an administrator on it.

Armando:
Hi phitsc,
Apart from the problems mentioned above, it's working well here (I get the occasional crash but it's manageable).
I once got a problem mentioned by ewemoa : after a crash it's like if the connection between farr and WS was broken and I couldn't get any results in farr. Had to restart Windows (I didn't have the time to find out which service to restart exactly and try a variety of strategies.)

That said, I wonder if it would be possible to add the following special Farr modifiers to affect the results:

(from farr's help file)
+sall
show all matching results, bypassing the normal limit on result count

[...]

-history
do not give bonus scores to items in history

do not show any files, only folders (and aliases)

-\
do not show any matching folders, only files (and aliases)

+\
show matching folders

--- End quote ---

Thanks

PS : I like the natural language option. Makes the searching a no brainer. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version