ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > FARR Plugins and Aliases

FARR plugin: FARR Windows Search 0.3.0

<< < (34/36) > >>

Armando:
Thanks phitsc

What's weird is that farr says (e.g.) "28 results found in 0s", but it shows only 5...
An I also compared with the normal Windows Search interface, and it does (usually) show me much more results. As the others have reported. I haven't done that many tests -- lack of time. But I can confirm that there's some problem. I never noticed before as I was mainly using it for contacts and recent emails.

So results in farr seem to be filtered in some weird way.

EDIT : I might be mistaken, but it seems that the "Max. items to search" option not only reduces the items to be shown (e.g. : 50), but also shows only a fraction of the result, no matter how many were found, and even if the number is < to the defined max. E.g. : if ws find only 28 results, it'll show 5, if ws finds 50, it'll show 20, etc.

CGA:
Strange, this only searches Outlook mail and mail contacts for me.
-CGA (November 23, 2011, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

In Win 'Search programs and files' enter Search and select 'Change how Windows searches', that brings up the 'Indexing Options'. What do you see there?
-phitsc (November 23, 2011, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is what I get: 

phitsc:
Thanks phitsc

What's weird is that farr says (e.g.) "28 results found in 0s", but it shows only 5...
An I also compared with the normal Windows Search interface, and it does (usually) show me much more results. As the others have reported. I haven't done that many tests -- lack of time. But I can confirm that there's some problem. I never noticed before as I was mainly using it for contacts and recent emails.

So results in farr seem to be filtered in some weird way.

EDIT : I might be mistaken, but it seems that the "Max. items to search" option not only reduces the items to be shown (e.g. : 50), but also shows only a fraction of the result, no matter how many were found, and even if the number is < to the defined max. E.g. : if ws find only 28 results, it'll show 5, if ws finds 50, it'll show 20, etc.

-Armando (November 23, 2011, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

The "Max no items to search" option directly influences the query, i.e. if you specify 25 there, you'll never get more than 25 result items. The sorting I chose is by item date, newest first. So what FarrWindowsSearch will query for is the 25 (or whatever you choose) most recently changed items in the Search Index, matching your search terms. FARR will then show you however many of these as you've specified in the FARR Display Options. I think FARR will also do its own filtering, e.g. if you have two file results point at the same file (don't know if that is a practical case) it will end up only once in the list.

Now I neither know how many items Windows searches for for its list. And I don't know the search order either (though I guess it could be newest first). I also don't know if it makes more than one query, e.g. one for Office stuff and another for documents maybe. I could maybe experiment around with such options, or offer the possibility to do your own experimentation (by offering more options as user settings).

Armando:
Thanks phitsc.
if you specify 25 there, you'll never get more than 25 result items.

--- End quote ---

Yes I understood that. However, what I don't understand is :

A)
- I set 45 as the max
- I search for some term ("Denise")
- There are much more then 25 items found (e.g. : status bar says  75)
- But farr shows only a few : 32

Ok, so this could be because of what you said earlier. But there's more :

B)
- I set 100 as the max
- I search for the same term ("Denise)
- Now status bar says that it found 100 results (why ? before it said 75 and the max was set to 45)
- farr shows only a few : 49 (Why 49, which is more than the previous 32, and at the same time doesn't seem to increase proportionally -- well not in an obvious way)

In any case, setting the max displayed items to 100 or more helps getting what I want, but there's still something funny about the way windows search and farr interact.

If I search for the same term in the normal windows search interface, I get 538 results. Granted, some might be shortcuts etc., but it's still a huge difference (compared to 100 or 75). Strange  :tellme:

FarrWindowsSearch will query for is the 25 (or whatever you choose) most recently changed items in the Search Index, matching your search terms. FARR will then show you however many of these as you've specified in the FARR Display Options. I think FARR will also do its own filtering, e.g. if you have two file results point at the same file (don't know if that is a practical case) it will end up only once in the list.
-phitsc (November 24, 2011, 06:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the precisions. I got that you chose to present the most recently changed items. I'm ok with that, as long as "terms matching" has the topmost priority... Right ?

Armando:

This is what I get: 

-CGA (November 24, 2011, 01:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

You don't have much indexed there. You could click on "Modify" and see what folders and files are being indexed.

Also look at one of my previous posts where I explain how to reset the indexing process (you might have to re-enable indexing for folders before you can do anything).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version