ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

ZDNET: Have we arrived in the post-Windows era?

<< < (2/5) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
For what I do on my laptop (not my primary machine anymore, but nonetheless) I saw no need to keep using Windows Vista on it, and switched to Linux (Ubuntu, specifically). I lost absolutely no functionality and do the same things I did, with the same apps I used (open source FTW), just faster and simpler. As far as the OS debate goes, until you bring up the topic of (commercial) games, I (personally) have no reason to run Windows anymore. That is the only reason it sits on my two desktop computers - and with every release of WINE (or CrossOver Office, or whatever you prefer), the time ticks away on those as well.

Just my opinion :two:

Ehtyar:
I'm sorry F0d Man, but seriously...I think when someone lists reasons for upgrading, they would be reasons someone somewhere actually gives two craps about (no, that's not meant to be taken literally, but you do get my point). That's not to mention that any improvement in Vista came along with utterly horrifying performance (yeah sure you might not have experienced that, but you can be certain the majority of users did), outrageously high requirements, and constant unnecessary hard disk usage.
[end rant]
Unfortunately, Microsoft still has a strangehold on the PC market, and no one has, as yet, came up with a model that provides enough advantages over Windows, and is a widely known, that the average Joe would consider switching.

Ehtyar.

J-Mac:
It's not true that Vista and Win7 haven't added anything... anybody claiming so should do a little research.

Windows Vista: added transactional NTFS, prioritized disk I/O, UAC :-*, and (not so important, but nice) a smoother GUI (if you have the GPU for it - could've/should've been done more efficiently).
Windows 7: doesn't have that much end-user visible new-niceness (though it has usability enhancements), is a sort of "polished Vista" - but has some nice improvements for running on (and scaling to) higher-end hardware.
-f0dder (April 20, 2009, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not enough there to convince the larger part of the market - companies/corporations - to upgrade. And as the linked ZDNet article mentions, they are really the only part of the market that has a choice as to whether or not to upgrade their OS. Most consumers never really "chose" Vista - it was just the OS already pre-installed on their new computers.

Jim

Ehtyar:
Most consumers never really "chose" Vista - it was just the OS already pre-installed on their new computers.
-J-Mac (April 21, 2009, 01:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
Which *SUCKS*!

*ahem*

Ehtyar.

wraith808:
I truly don't know why it gets such bad press.  I've had my moments, but most of those have been a result of wanting to do things myself, and vista 'protecting' me from messing things up, because it wanted to fix it (and admittedly did- if not as fast as I wanted).  But overall, it hasn't been a bad experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version