ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's the dfference between using portable installaions vs PortableApps?

<< < (5/5)

fenixproductions:
Sorry for my ignorance for this thread BUT if someone wants to get some info about making applications portable, he will find nice DB here:
http://portablefreeware.com/

Dormouse:
It would be preconfigured to show applications found just like portable apps launcher does.
-mouser (April 21, 2009, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've not seen PortableApps launcher do this. For me, it only finds the Portable Apps progs, not all the portable progs on the stick. Finding all the apps would be good.

Of course, it isn't really a problem to get these progs added to the launcher.

wraith808:
If you click on options, then refresh menu, it will pick up all executables in the subdirectories directly under the PortableApps directory.  This can be bad of course... which is why I like geek.Menu better since it allows you to hide extra executables, and also to rename the ones that are found to something more recognizeable.

ewemoa:
all of my programs (except url snooper which needs the winpcap drivers installed) can be run portably.
-mouser (April 20, 2009, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

On a side note, I noticed the other day that the portable version of wireshark appears to install (and even offers to uninstall on exit) winpcap.  Is it worth considering this sort of behavior for url snooper?

lanux128:
Downloadsquad.com posted about a portable app launcher called CodySafe.. guess there is more to Cody than meets the eye.. :D

• CodySafe app launcher gives PortableApps suite some competition

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version