ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend to me the BEST USB stick to get

<< < (18/19) > >>

tinjaw:
PortableApps.com just released version 1.6 of their platform today and I am thinking about building a fresh new portable drive. I was wondering if anybody knows of a recent speed test out there. I am thinking about getting a super fast (R & W) 16GB thumb drive.

ayryq:
Also, about the tight fit of the pico-c...I have had no problems with it and I've plugged it into over 10 computers by now.  yes, some were pretty tight.  but nothing happened.  You have to understand that some people just are obsessed with certain things and just harp on them forever when it's really not that big a deal.  So what if it's tight?  Big deal.  Nothing gets damaged so whatever.
-superboyac (November 29, 2009, 12:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

It comes with a little chain for putting on your keyring. I broke the chain multiple times while removing it from USB ports. Further, I now have an intermittent USB port on my laptop which I blame on damage caused by the PICO-C bending the "tongue" inside the USB socket. I don't think this was a small problem, though it may be a rare problem. Other than that I loved the thing. However, I've moved on; I bought a mini-attaché and it's doing the job for now.

/obsessive harping
Eric

superboyac:
Also, about the tight fit of the pico-c...I have had no problems with it and I've plugged it into over 10 computers by now.  yes, some were pretty tight.  but nothing happened.  You have to understand that some people just are obsessed with certain things and just harp on them forever when it's really not that big a deal.  So what if it's tight?  Big deal.  Nothing gets damaged so whatever.
-superboyac (November 29, 2009, 12:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

It comes with a little chain for putting on your keyring. I broke the chain multiple times while removing it from USB ports. Further, I now have an intermittent USB port on my laptop which I blame on damage caused by the PICO-C bending the "tongue" inside the USB socket. I don't think this was a small problem, though it may be a rare problem. Other than that I loved the thing. However, I've moved on; I bought a mini-attaché and it's doing the job for now.

/obsessive harping
Eric
-ayryq (January 29, 2010, 03:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sorry Eric, I didn't mean to criticize you.  I was trying to keep all the pros and cons of the drive in context, and I didn't want people to be scared of the product because of that one issue.  You know how it is with these online reviews, sometimes one particular feature gets talked about a lot, and people lose sight of the overall product.  I've done the same...I totally get obsessed with certain little things here and there.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but I would also agree that it is rare.  I didn't like the idea of yanking that chain to remove the drive also, especially since the fit is tight.  So I make sure to grab the drive itself when i remove it, just to be safe.  It's similar to what my dad used to get on my case about when I was a kid: he'd tell me to not yank cords out of the electrical socket, and always make sure to grab it by the head.

ayryq:
Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but I would also agree that it is rare.  I didn't like the idea of yanking that chain to remove the drive also, especially since the fit is tight.  So I make sure to grab the drive itself when i remove it, just to be safe.  It's similar to what my dad used to get on my case about when I was a kid: he'd tell me to not yank cords out of the electrical socket, and always make sure to grab it by the head.
-superboyac (January 31, 2010, 09:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's the trouble. The thing is so ridiculously small, there's hardly anything to grip if it's in there tight. And I'd rather break the chain (again) than grab my leatherman and pull it out with pliers. If I get another one some day, first thing I'll do is buy one of these - though I'm not sure if the smaller end would fit through the hole!

Eric

superboyac:
I have one of those!  They are really nifty and cool.
Sounds like your usb jack is REALLy tight.  I've never run into that tight of a situation.  The tightest was on my mom's laptop (dell) where I had to make sure my fingers were completely dry before tugging the drive out.  But that was the only one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version