ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend to me the BEST USB stick to get

<< < (16/19) > >>

superboyac:
superboyac: how fast is the pico-c, though? speed is quite an important thing for me wrt. flash memory devices - throughput as well as random access time.
-f0dder (October 14, 2009, 05:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
You know, I'm not sure exactly how fast it is.  You can find many benchmarks for it on various website reviews.  I've never really understood what kind of speed issues people have with USB drives.  All USB drives seem slow to me because I'm comparing them to hard drive speeds.  Tell you what, instead of going by benchmarks, why don't you give me a specific task you are looking for and I'll try it on my drive and tell you the result?  Do you want me to transfer a 100 MB file and tell you how long it takes?  Let me know.

bluesear:
No threads about the usb stick. However, it's so useful for members, thanks!

MilesAhead:
OCZ DIESEL 16GB
-bcpaladin (April 24, 2009, 03:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm looking at this since I need to buy one at least 16 GB.  Can you tell me what type of write speed you get with it?  My largest so far is A-Data 8 GB but it writes at less than 5 MB/sec.  Kinda' slow for copying movies on.  Fortunately it reads well enough to play them. :)

MilesAhead:
While trawling the net looking at SSDs I happened across this flash drive:  OCZ Throttle eSATA Flash Drive

For eSATA:
90MB/s - Read
30MB/s - Write

And a USB interface if the host PC doesn't have an eSATA port.

The 16GB version is available at Newegg for $52.

Now we're getting to some realistic speeds  :D
-4wd (May 02, 2009, 06:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

But what are the speeds if you have to plug into USB?  I'm just asking because I got a WD HD player.
The usb key is convenient but the largest I have is A-Data 8GB and @4.x MB/sec. write speed it's slow slogging copying a movie on.
I don't want to spend top dollar but something reliable and a bit faster would be cool. :)

I have an external USB 250 GB drive that writes at about 24 MB/sec but moving the drive from the computer room to the TV room and hooking the wires will get old fast.  It's too much hassle to set up a network at this point.

tomos:
many of the recommendations here are capless - has anyone had problems with that ? (visions of fluff or grit getting jammed in there if you dont check/clean it thoroughly before use...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version