ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Geek gadgets - Calculators...

<< < (7/10) > >>

Darwin:
Heh, heh - Edvard, I think app meant that she likes virtual calculators whereas I *think* you're assuming she meant the old, big desktop printing calculators?

FWIW, this is what I was talking about:

or this:

rjbull:
It might also explain why I hate the Windows calculator and its lack of history tape, and opt for this impossible to find ancient piece of software, instead:
 (see attachment in previous post)
-app103 (May 01, 2010, 04:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

app, I use another probably impossible to find ancient piece of software, PC Magazine's TapeCalc from the days before they started charging for their utilities.  I have an archive of it, which I can make available if wanted.

Oh, and there's the better-known Moffsoft FreeCalc as well, for another that has tape.

app103:
Heh, heh - Edvard, I think app meant that she likes virtual calculators whereas I *think* you're assuming she meant the old, big desktop printing calculators?
-Darwin (May 01, 2010, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, Edvard got it right. I fell in love with the big desktop calculators with the tape when I had to take a 10-key class (all accounting students were required to do that, back in the 80's). Didn't get one of my own till I contracted a job that required me to have one. (early 90's)

app, I use another probably impossible to find ancient piece of software, PC Magazine's TapeCalc from the days before they started charging for their utilities.  I have an archive of it, which I can make available if wanted.

Oh, and there's the better-known Moffsoft FreeCalc as well, for another that has tape.
-rjbull (May 01, 2010, 01:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

This calculator app I mentioned is a little special. Not sure if you noticed the different modes in the screenshot, but one of them is "fraction". That was the original reason for downloading it. (it also expands into a scientific calculator)

My daughter had misplaced her TI Math Explorer solar calculator supplied by her school and needed it for her homework. That TI calculator was the first designed for teaching fractions, and was kind of hard to find a replacement or substitute, since they were only made available to educational institutions, in packs of 10.

But this little calculator app did the trick and she passed her math class.

That ability to change modes has come in handy quite a bit over the years, for various things.

Incidentally, I never bought the full version which was something I had been meaning to do all these years, but the email address in the about box is no longer in use and I couldn't find the developer. After making my original post about it, I tried one more time and found a web developer by the same name (Thomas Muck). I sent him a note through the contact form on his site asking if he was the same guy that wrote that calculator, and just received a reply back confirming that he is. So now to find out if he is interested in letting me purchase the full version without the nag screen. (I hope he will, he deserves my money and I'd like to finally get rid of the nag)

Darwin:
No, Edvard got it right. I fell in love with the big desktop calculators with the tape when I had to take a 10-key class (all accounting students were required to do that, back in the 80's). Didn't get one of my own till I contracted a job that required me to have one. (early 90's)-app103 (May 01, 2010, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Damn! I completely missed the hyperlink before I wrote my last note  :-[ Sorry, app, I just looked at the screenshot!

Edvard:
Darwin, don't forget this thread if you're going to post such juicy photos...  :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version