topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Playstation 3 and Media Server Setup?  (Read 18061 times)

seedling

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Playstation 3 and Media Server Setup?
« on: January 03, 2009, 12:29 AM »
I've been looking around for something simple (cuz it should be), but i set up my ps3 and it connects to my router and thus to the net.  but, of course, i would like to have some sort of media server on the network that the ps3 can see so that i can watch my vids and listen to my music, etc.  any quick and easy tips, software/settings, etc to get this up and running?

i currently only have 2 other windowsXP machines on the network, so i'd need something that could run on XP systems.

TIA!!! :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 12:36 AM by seedling »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Playstation 3 and Media Server Setup?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:42 AM »
www.tversity.com

That is what I use and it works very well. Easy to setup, add folders for watching, and setup for DLNA which the PS3 supports.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 12:44 AM »
2seedling
If your "server" is standard PC you can try to host Weezo on it and access via web browser (if PS3 can do it). If not - I read somewhere about Linux distributions meant for Playstation so using it could be good way.

If I am wrong, I hope I gave right direction :)

seedling

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 01:22 AM »
thank you for your quick responses! :) think i'll try tversity.  i don't have an extra machine to mess with Linux stuff (which i found a lot of info for here and there); so was hoping for a quick/dirty windows network solution.

if anyone else has any other info for setting this up, please let me know!

Thanks again :D

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 01:43 AM »
2seedling
I've mentioned Linux because I don't really know how PS3 handle multimedia while browsing the web. Weezo itself needs Windows only (and gives you easy media streaming). That's all.

Or "Linux reply" was not for me? ;)

seedling

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 02:10 AM »
2seedling
I've mentioned Linux because I don't really know how PS3 handle multimedia while browsing the web. Weezo itself needs Windows only (and gives you easy media streaming). That's all.

Or "Linux reply" was not for me? ;)
-fenixproductions (January 03, 2009, 01:43 AM)

no, hey thanks! :) yeah just the linux reply was, but weezo is a cool service that is a cool service via the ps3 browser, but i gotta tell you the tversity is VERY simple to setup!! and at this point i'd highly recommend it for ps3 streaming. :)

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 02:25 AM »
2seedling
Thank you for response. It seems one more thing got into my "need to be checked" list.

Eeehh... one life is too short to learn all of these...

seedling

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 02:53 AM »
no, hey thank you for your input! really :D

cuz i didn't know about that service.

i guess, just thank you for responding, keep on doing it... one of the wisest thing i've ever heard was that there is no stupid question and there is no stupid contribution, cuz if it's your contribution, it's yours... own it! and i learned something from you tonight, so thank you again :)

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 08:38 AM »
I use Orb for my local media.  It's easy, just add the folders to share and poof, it's available anywhere you have Internet.  You can share and access anything, the PS3 detects it automatically, and I use it to stream music/videos to my PDA.  You can access your local music, videos, pictures, and more anywhere there is an Internet connection. It's free.

I also use PlayOn to stream Netflix watch instantly movies, Hulu, CBS, Youtube, ESPN and more to the PS3.  It's not free but it is regularly updated and only $30 for a LIFETIME license.  It's dead simple to set up, you can pretty much just install it and then go to your PS3 and it's automatically detected as well.

When PlayOn adds the ability to share local media then Orb will be gone.

seedling

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 10:20 PM »
nice! i'll check those out as well :)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 08:02 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with any of these lately? I am still using TVersity but am looking for something with better transcoding support and built-in codec support. Right now, Tversity can't play certain files so I am beginning to look elsewhere. Has anyone messed with Weezo or orb or playon lately? How about any others?

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 03:43 AM »
i personally use PMS, or playstation media server, its free ware and cross [latform java.. works superbly. i have been using it since Feb. just installed and ran no config.. other than pointing it at my media stores and this on a vista box.. plays everything by on the fly encoding if needed.
When I have a mission, it consumes me; I will not be satisfied until the job is done. I have a strong sense of duty, and a strong sense of direction. Changes in the tide don't phase me - I always know which way the wind blows, and I know how to compensate for it. I get on poorly with people like myself.

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 03:46 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with any of these lately? I am still using TVersity but am looking for something with better transcoding support and built-in codec support. Right now, Tversity can't play certain files so I am beginning to look elsewhere. Has anyone messed with Weezo or orb or playon lately? How about any others?

unless you have a netflix accnt w/ instant view playon is a waste a t 40$ pms does hulu just as good i think...
When I have a mission, it consumes me; I will not be satisfied until the job is done. I have a strong sense of duty, and a strong sense of direction. Changes in the tide don't phase me - I always know which way the wind blows, and I know how to compensate for it. I get on poorly with people like myself.

AngelReign

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 09:08 AM »
My digital media was scattered among various drives, computers, and discs. I wanted seamless central control over all of it, so I decided to use my Sony PlayStation 3 as a media hub, with my 40-inch Samsung HDTV as a monitor. Now I can view or listen to all my photos, videos, and music via my TV screen, no matter where they are. Here’s a guide to building a digital media command center in your living room. [more]
by: myblog
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:11 AM by AngelReign »