ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ubuntu 9.04: Thoughts and experiences

<< < (4/5) > >>

40hz:
OK. Curiosity finally got the better of me. I installed Xubuntu last night. This was a clean install onto an empty drive.

It took three tries using the same CD, which tested out fine (media, and filescan) BTW.

First installation hung when it went to install GRUB. The second install went OK until I tried to get updates, at which point it went into a tailspin and trashed something. A subsequent reboot hung each time while trying to start the Xserver. I checked xorg.conf, but there was nothing in it to indicate a problem there. Found nothing much useful in any of the logs to indicate what the problem might have been. If I entered a startx command once I was logged into text mode, I'd just get a command prompt back after about ten seconds with no error message.

At this point I figured I'd give it one more try. That's when it got weird.

The third installation went absolutely smooth. No problems, lags, or errors anywhere. Xserver started normally and the desktop came up just fine. Everything seemed to be working correctly, except for my sound card, which stopped working right after I installed PulseAudio. (So what else is new right?). I eventually got the sound restored after some research and configuration noodling - but the resulting sound output is now producing occasional bits of static and an annoying amount of distortion on audio playback. This is particularly annoying because this same machine has excellent audio quality when running under Hardy Heron.

Serves me right for breaking my 'rule' (more of a guideline really) about problematic installations. ;D

Oh well. :P

-----

Addenda: I just discovered the CD that I was using for the installation was burned at 40X. I know from experience that the machine I installed Xubuntu on has a no-name CD-RW drive that doesn't like to read anything much faster than 32X even though the drive can supposedly handle as high as 52X. Since I decided to reinstall Xubuntu one more time, I cooked up a new installation CD at 16X and everything went perfectly the first time.

:-[ I should have known.  :-[

Edvard:
AHA! The old oops-I-burned-the-iso-too-fast error, eh? Good thing you caught it soon.
But why, pray tell, did you go and install PulseAudio? WhyWhyWhy?  :'(

kartal:
I have triple boot on my macbook pro, mac-xp-ubuntu. All works great expecially Ubuntu worked right out of the box without needed any Mac drivers for the hardware. Under windows you definetely need Apple drivers to use sound, camera etc

40hz:
AHA! The old oops-I-burned-the-iso-too-fast error, eh? Good thing you caught it soon.
But why, pray tell, did you go and install PulseAudio? WhyWhyWhy?  :'(
-Edvard (April 27, 2009, 06:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm a closet masochist. :P

Actually more for R&D purposes than anything else. PulseAudio doesn't seem likely to go away no matter how much you or I would like it to so I'm trying to stay on top of where it's at each time a new mainstream distro comes out.

Basically, I wanted to see if it either: (a) worked -or- (b) I could get it to work under 9.04.

So far (for me at least) the answer to both questions is still: NO. :down: >:(

No problem. Now that I have a reliable installation CD , I'll just load it up one more time.

Except without Pulse. ;D

Edvard:
Did you add yourself to the 'audio' group?

For years, no matter what distro I've been on, for some stooooooooopid reason I always have to do that for audio to work.
This time, everything ran ok until I tried to run jackd in realtime (with realtime kernel, natch).  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version