ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ubuntu 9.04: Thoughts and experiences

<< < (3/5) > >>

Edvard:
So it looks like the official release came out today (yesterday by somebody's calendar  :huh: ).
Servers are giving me a page load error so they're obviously hammered.

I installed the last Xubuntu 9.04 beta and found a reasonably fast mirror for the updates so I'll stick with that.

So far I haven't noticed anything bad. I'll post again if anything comes up.

40hz:
Did  they finally get their hassles with Pulse Audio sound fixed?

mnemonic:
I *really* like the new version - nothing much new, but it just feels slicker and looks better.  I've got no idea what they've done to the latest version of Gnome, but it's come on a way.  I haven't used it for any reasonable length of time since 7.10, but everything seems that bit easier - setting-up wireless works (I found it simpler to set-up than wireless on Vista), folder sharing is now accessed from the right-click menu (rather than having to manually edit Samba config files) and booting with the ext4 filesystem is now *really* fast (my 4-year old Athlon 64 gets to the logon screen in 25 seconds).

This seems like a solid release, but there's still Linux's old issue - if the application isn't in Synaptic, it's complicated to install as you have to go into the terminal and type...

invenit:
I'll check on 9.04 again after it goes final.
--- End quote ---

Jaunty installed fine on my IBM Intellistation Z Pro.  :Thmbsup:

This is an amazing release.

Edvard:
Did  they finally get their hassles with Pulse Audio sound fixed?
-40hz (April 24, 2009, 06:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

As I am running Xubuntu, I don't have to deal with PulseAudio.
...yet.

I will install PulseAudio when:
[1] They pull my cold, dead fingers off my keyboard.
[2] Pulse Audio transcends itself to become the audio system instead of an ugly hack on top of the existing one.

OK, OK, I understand it is currently the only way to get multiple audio streams reliably and it has come a long way since becoming the default audio system for Ubuntu (probably the BIGGEST reason why. All those noobs complaining will get anybody bugfixing in a hurry...).
It's STILL an ugly hack.
I don't blame the developers for doing their best to come up with an audio system that (mostly) just works, it's been needed for quite some time, I just seriously doubt that doing it this way is the best solution in the long-term.

Anyway, 9.04 is humming along just fine on my aging system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version