ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ubuntu 9.04: Thoughts and experiences

<< < (2/5) > >>

mwang:
I upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 betas on my notebook (not brave enough to try it on my server yet), and have been taking all updates since. Boot time has gone down from 1 min. to 45 sec., so it's been good for me.

invenit:
Anyone have any insight, experiences or suggestions?
--- End quote ---

I upgraded my Dell Dimension 3000 from intrepid to jaunty this week. Everything was cool until I went to the Archeology Channel. The upgrade borked my multimedia big-time. Flash was easy enough to fix; I installed RealPlayer and that took care of anything with real or wmv format; mpg format (among others), however, was a no-go. Consulted the forums--nothing.

OTOH, the experience was not altogether negative: I wiped the drive and installed CrunchBang. Totally works.  :Thmbsup:

(I'll check on 9.04 again after it goes final.)

Edvard:
So far, I've been ok. All my hardware works fine (though I'd KILL for a decent video card...) and almost ANYTHING would be better than 8.10 at this point.  :-\

I tried Debian 5.0 and Sidux just to see if they were worth the fuss and damn was it fast, but there was no realtime kernel available, which is essential for multimedia, so that went away.
Apparently, there is some testing and progress in the dev channels WRT getting an 'official' realtime kernel for Debian, but bring up the subject on the forums and you get nothing but elitism and name-calling.
What a turn-off.

OpenSuse has a realtime kernel available with lots of community development behind it, good to see. Maybe I'll give that a shot. Then again, maybe not. I have never felt the love from an rpm-based distro, and there is no Xfce flavor.
Hm... is there an option to do a 'base' installation and then add the Xfce? Looks like there is..

So far, my main gripes with 8.10 have been alleviated in 9.04 (shutdown, network manager), although IMHO the *buntus as a whole could stand a little fat trimmed off.  ;)

wreckedcarzz:
Update: Personally, I've been enjoying the switch so far - still don't have suspend/hibernate working, but mostly everything else is going smoothly. The only problem I have is that everytime I open Rythmbox, it bugs me to find some codecs, but then complains that it can't find any :huh: :-\ not a big deal though. I've jumped into working on a modification for Ubuntu for some friends of mine, learning a bit more about what makes it tick. You can learn a lot when you know where look. :read:

zridling:
I have put Ubuntu 7.04-8.10 on all but two computers in the house (5 total), and have had little problems except Sleep and WiFi - I've only used Ubuntu/Xubuntu, Knoppix, Debian and a couple other distros, having the best "experience" (not reformatting within a week) with Ubuntu. This install was just a bad run of luck, but it is working great now. If I hit some more problems (post-final release) I'll look at some other options and see how they work.-wreckedcarzz (April 17, 2009, 05:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

And that's just it; there's nothing wrong with Ubuntu, just my old hardware. I've loaded it on others' laptops and it ran great over the last several releases.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version