ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Set GMail as default email client - not just in browser

<< < (2/4) > >>

Coeluh:
I'm sorry, ill share. It is not doable with google talk or notifier. I wanted gmail to act as default e-mail program, so when a program or my keyboard sent the command to open mail, gmail will be opened.

1. First I created a single exe, gmail.exe which simply opens gmail in browser (Only attached the .exe for the lazy people, becuase people who use ahk will know how to do it.

optional: 2. You are going to do a registery edit. No harm can be done, although it can be wise to backup it before going on.

3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail

4. Create a new key called gmail, give it the value GMail (or whatever you want it to appear)

5. Make a new key, inside GMail, and name it shell
6. Make a key inside shell, and name it open
7. And final, make a new key in open command

If you did well, you'll have something like this:

8. Download the attached dot exe or create it yourself. Place it somewhere on your drive (I chose C:\gmail.exe)

9. Now navigate to the command key you just created. Change the default value to: "C:\gmail.exe"

10. Almost done! Now head for Control Panel and open up internet options. You now can select GMail as default e-mail client.

edbro:
Thanks. but...
(Only attached the .exe for the lazy people, becuase people who use ahk will know how to do it.
-Coeluh (April 17, 2009, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
So, if I don't use ahk I'm lazy?? :mad:

wraith808:
I'm sorry, ill share. It is not doable with google talk or notifier. I wanted gmail to act as default e-mail program, so when a program or my keyboard sent the command to open mail, gmail will be opened.
--- End quote ---

That's specifically what that article I linked talked about doing... I might have to try to see if it acts as advertised; I know yahoo does, because I installed the yahoo version for my wife.

Coeluh:
--- End quote ---

That's specifically what that article I linked talked about doing... I might have to try to see if it acts as advertised; I know yahoo does, because I installed the yahoo version for my wife.
-wraith808 (April 17, 2009, 12:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well notifier wasn't doing what I wanted, because it was only about handling the mailto links... And I already got g-talk running, so 2 tray apps are kinda a waste of memory. My solution is good, isn't it?

edbro:
If you are using Firefox, you must still set gmail as the default handler in Applications tab of the options page.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version