ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

nudone's new pc

<< < (11/15) > >>

nudone:
Carol, i'm glad you disagree with 'smids'.

i suppose what i should do is try both setups - i wouldn't be surprised if there isn't any difference at all, or at least nothing worth worrying about.

i'll let you know if i get that far.

f0dder:
I can't think of any reasons why having multiple partitions would slow things down... sounds like bollocks to me.

nudone:
ah even better, f0dder.

as you can see, at this moment in time i'm likely to believe anything regarding raid, as it's all new to me.

Carol Haynes:
Just thaink of your RAID 0 as a double capacity faster hard disc - and treat it exactly the same way you would treat a normal hard disc. There really isn't anything mystical about RAID ...

Call him Stripes if it helps ;)

jpfx:
The reason why I have little faith in the benefits of RAID0 is because for the cost of the drives and controller, Purchase more RAM and/or a higher speed CPU! There are speed improvements but they were neglible and RAM/CPU improvements are more tangible and effect the whole system not just i/o.
It wasn't a case of anything seeming much faster than a standard drive. The potential for data loss is not to be ignored either, that and the time/cost of keeping your data safe. I've had RAID0 fail due to PSU problems and you wouldn't even know that the psu was the cause from the symptoms either.
The areas of improvement are in specific situations which YOU don't necessarily practice. Also, If you see a boot-up increase of 5 seconds over non-raid and you boot 3 times a week... 15 seconds... so what?

Anyway, the data crunchers that I've set up at work with and without RAID, there's been small speed improvements with RAID) but nothing worth bothering about.

This is a good article here. I'd call this the definitive site for storage matters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version