ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

nudone's new pc

<< < (10/15) > >>

mouser:
timely post that might be relevant?

"My PC Hell - The Fatal Flaw, and the Surprising Solution"

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1903059,00.asp

nudone:
thanks Carol, i thought you'd come to the rescue on that one - i'll give partition magic a go then. i'll only be putting other xp systems onto the new partitions so it sounds pretty simple to me. i've used a free boot manager in the past (xosl i think it is called(?)) which seemed pretty good to me - can't remember the exact details but the method i followed allowed me to install win98 on an area of the hard drive past the usual boundary limit (it was something you weren't meant to be able to do anyway but with xosl it worked fine).

jpfx, that is one mean looking setup. the definition of water cooling i'd say. i know what you mean about he raptors clicking away - i've got a couple of aluminium cases to put them in that should silence them but not got around to it yet.

unfortunately this is my first time using sata drives and first time with raid also so i've nothing to compare the raptors performance against. i'd appreciate if you could explain a little more as to why you were dissappointed with them. i've read in 'Custom PC' (UK magazine) that they don't see much point in using raid stripes compared with a good sata II drive and they didn't even bother to mention the raptors so i had big doubts about buying the raptors. in the end i just bought them to give me peace of mind otherwise i would be constantly wondering what they would have been like.

please let me know why you didn't rate the raptors anyway, it will be very useful information for my next pc build project.

thanks.

(not read the extreme-tech article yet mouser - going to in a minute.)

Carol Haynes:
thanks Carol, i thought you'd come to the rescue on that one - i'll give partition magic a go then. i'll only be putting other xp systems onto the new partitions so it sounds pretty simple to me. i've used a free boot manager in the past (xosl i think it is called(?)) which seemed pretty good to me - can't remember the exact details but the method i followed allowed me to install win98 on an area of the hard drive past the usual boundary limit (it was something you weren't meant to be able to do anyway but with xosl it worked fine).
-nudone (December 20, 2005, 01:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you are just using WindowsXP then I wouldn't bother with a separate boot manager - it can just make it harder to recover from problems in the future. Once you have all your bare installations completed and activated (be prepared for some phone calls to MS) don't forget to image your drive before you go any further - that way you can always get back to a bare system if you need to or recover single partitions.

nudone:
i've just been advised not to partition the raptor drives. simply because it would decrease the speed aspect that the raid 0 was meant to be designed for in the first place.

here's the thread http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17511887 that 'smids' showed me.

it seems convincing to me but i suppose the only way to find out is to test the different setups of partitioned and non partitioned raid 0 drives.

at the moment i really don't know what do to - it would be a waste to lose the performance of the raptor drives if this is what partitioning would do. but if partitioning has no detrimental effect then i'd prefer the partitioned setup.

????????????????

Carol Haynes:
Not convinced at all ... the same argument would apply to any partitioned drive.

If you want to install multiple OS's then partitioning will restrict head movements to a smaller area of the discs which should if anything improve access time.

If you store your data in a partition between the OS partitions you still restrict the area of the disc being accessed.

C - Windows 1
D - Data
E - Windows 2

Put your paging file and temp folders on a separate drive altogether if possible - if not have a fixed size pagefile (so that it doesn't get fragmented).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version