ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

nudone's new pc

<< < (9/15) > >>

brotherS:
Looks good so far :)

I saw that case before - the separate PSU chamber is to not use pre-heated air (that was already flowing past all other components) to cool the PSU like in 'normal' cases.

nudone:
ah, that does make sense then brotherS.

nudone:
okay, call me lazy because i'm half sure you've already answered this question but i'll ask it again...

at the moment i've got a raid 0 striped array spanning 2 hard drives - each drive is 74 gig so the total is about 140 gig recognised as one partition.

i'd like to partition this setup without having to start at the very beginning whilst installing windows.

i'm much prefer to use a program like paritition magic or anything else that can successfully do it.

any views as what is best way to do it - i'd like to put another operating system onto this raid 0 arrangement - maybe have 3 or 4 operating systems on the raid 0 drive in total.

i would start experimenting myself but as it's taken so long to get windows on i'd prefer to have head start using someone advice (my new dvd drive wouldn't read my xp cd and the old cd drive that worked was a bit dodgy also).

thanks

Carol Haynes:
Which Operating systems do you want to install ?

If they are all Windows XP or 2000 there is no problem - just partition with Partition Magic and install to the partitions you want. Windows 2k/XP will install and automatically set up a multiboot system.

If you want to install Windows 98/ME (why ?) then that should be installed first

If you want to install Linux then I would suugest you install it last but leave some disk space free for the installation within the first 8 gigabytes or you may find it won't boot (not sure about the last Linux builds this may have been fixed now). You don't need to leave a lot of space, just enough for the OS to install, you can then have an extra partition for your user data and installed programs.

The reason I would leave Linux until last is that it will take over your multiboot setup. I have found in the past that ithe Linux bootmanager (Grub) will try to boot into Linux first and then offer the Windows boot system second. You can change this behaviour within Linux.

You can also alter the Linux boot system to include it within the Windows multiboot system, but I never found a way to install it successfully before Windows.

You may also want to consider using a boot manager (there is one included with Partition Magic, but there are better ones out there now) which shoul (at least in theory) allow you to install operating systems in any order but restrictions on OS placement on the Hard Disc will have to be observed (eg. Win98/ME has to be installed on a partition within 8Gb of the first block on the hard disc).

jpfx:
a bit late to the party, oh well..

I've used 2 74s with a promise caching controller and 256mb dedicated cache and I must say, it seemed hardly worth it. without measuring anything, I didn't notice any significant performance gains. 74s are a bit 'ticky' too.
Anyone who poo poo'd water cooling, well it's pretty simple these days and a lot of fun. I can hear my mosfets whine now so one noise takes over from the others.
have a picture of real world water cooling, hehe!
nudone's new pc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version