ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

nudone's new pc

<< < (13/15) > >>

Rover:
Short RAID lesson for PC's.  There are two types these days... Hardware & Software.

Hardware RAID is the old tired and true, better performance RAID we know and love from SCSI Systems.  They use coprocessors on the RAID controller to offload some of the lower level drive operations from the CPU. 

A few years ago, the Linux folks (Note: Someone else may have started this, I first saw it on Linux) started futzing with software RAID.  The concept was simple, use a kernel lever drive to emulate Hardware RAID.

There are several inexpensive SATA RAID controllers available today.  Many of them on the mobo.  I would not be surprised to find that a software based RAID configuration did not improve performance by much.  It will tax the CPU and general be more work to get the data off than a true hardware solution. 

Disk access is usually the bottleneck for overall processing speed.  It's why we still have mainframes in use today.  They kick ass at moving data around on DASD.  Offloading some of the disk processes to a RAID controller and adding more spindles to the mix should generally improve performance on any system.  It may not be enough of an improvement to justify the cost, and hassle though...

As always, your mileage may vary.

nudone:
will i be going for raid on the next pc i build - it looks doubtful doesn't it. but then again, i've yet to really put things to any kind of test so maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised - even if this raid 0 knocks a few seconds of loading in a few programs or booting windows i'll be happy. such is the length of time i spend in front of the computer any kind of speed increase will be appreciated.

roll on the day that solid state data storage becomes the norm (or whatever it will be called).

nudone:
i was wondering about whether to keep the two 19" crt monitors i've already got or buy a new LCD 21" widescreen or maybe even buy two 19" LCDs instead.

i've solved the problem - just ordered one of these 'Eizo s2410w 24" widescreen LCD monitor' http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/S2410W/index.asp.

the actual visible display area is an insane 518.4mm × 324.0 mm.

i've been told that there's a 99% chance it will be here tomorrow - can't really see that happening but if it does you'll hear me screaming my head off with glee.

brotherS:
i was wondering about whether to keep the two 19" crt monitors i've already got or buy a new LCD 21" widescreen or maybe even buy two 19" LCDs instead.

i've solved the problem - just ordered one of these 'Eizo s2410w 24" widescreen LCD monitor' http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/S2410W/index.asp.
-nudone (December 22, 2005, 04:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
Nice! :)

Carol Haynes:
-nudone (December 22, 2005, 04:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

You married?? I'm looking for somebody rich!

OO I forgot - you aren't any more.

This is going to be one nice beastie of a machine when you've finished ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version