ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A Vista printer utility that saves ink like InkSaver?

(1/5) > >>

rancohn:
Hello

I used to use Inksaver (http://www.inksaver.com/) on my XP machine, which allowed you to convert all text into a shade of grey. This level of grey was user-adjustable and so allowed you to print out really faint text, using much less ink. Unfortunately there is no Vista version.

Does anyone know of an ink saving utility that operates in the same way - allowing you to convert to a faint grey? At present I use the magnificent Fineprint but there is no similar feature and I need to print a lot of stuff at home. Ink ain't cheap.

Anyone?

edbro:
Simply install your print driver a second time to create a separate profile to that printer. Then, change the default settings on that profile to print in draft, b&w. You can choose this profile the same as choosing any other printer in Fineprint.

I used to worry about such things but then I bought a cheap laser printer. Much more economical. I can get 2,600 full pages from a $35 toner cartridge.

rancohn:
Thanks, but even draft b&w uses way too much black ink.  >:( This is where inksaver came in very handy - you could further restrict the amount of ink used so it would be very faint but still legible. Back in the XP days I got far more life out of a single cart that with my Vista set-up.

Yeah, I considered a laser but I go through over a ream a month and feared for the cost of toner and replacement drums (and colour is important to me).

mouser:
Yeah, I considered a laser but I go through over a ream a month and feared for the cost of toner and replacement drums (and colour is important to me).
--- End quote ---

well if you need color that's one thing, but someone correct me if i'm wrong -- laser toner is going to be MUCH cheeper than inkjet ink isn't it?

cranioscopical:
laser toner is going to be MUCH cheeper than inkjet ink isn't it?
-mouser (April 13, 2009, 08:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
If you mean black, laser toner won't be such a financial birden  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version