ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The entitled generation....Are they right?

<< < (5/12) > >>

rgdot:
As has been mentioned it's the method rather than the object itself. How they pursue and threaten with lawyers, how they treat the small guy is the problem. I wouldn't even blame talentless artists, because no one is forcing anybody to buy a Britney album, if you buy the hype and marketing the marketer is not the (only) one to blame. That extends to things like photoshop, paying nearly 4 digit dollars is not forced on anybody, if you really need it for a job the employer should buy you a license and deal with photoshop sales people and tactics.

Grorgy:
But are the artists really losing anything? or the record companies?  If the music would not have been bought if piracy was not an option then all they are really doing is spreading the name of the artist involved.  Some musicians who have offered their music for free have increased sales and public awareness of their talents, as I heard one guy say, most people come along to his website, download a few songs and then if they like it they buy it, apart from people who don't have the money, be they kids or unemployed people or whatever.  But his point was he is getting known by more people and while in one sense he loses the payment on a song not bought he never would have got that sale anyway and his overall sales have increased at minimal cost to himself, perhaps a bit of bandwidth for the downloads.

The statistics that the RIAA and others like them use are somewhat rubbery at best and also it seems quite out of date.

wraith808:
But that should be the *artist's* choice.  Just because I wouldn't have spent the money or used the software or watched the movie doesn't remove my culpability in stealing someone's art.  If you don't agree to the system, then boycott it and let your money and words inspire change. 

40hz:
But are the artists really losing anything? or the record companies? If the music would not have been bought if piracy was not an option ...-Grorgy (April 15, 2009, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's an assertion. An assertion does not prove anything. It begs the question rather than answers it. The only way to know for sure would be to see what would have happened if piracy had not been an option. As such, we have no way of knowing if that statement is really true.

It's also a fairly specious argument when you take a closer look at what it is saying. The underlying logic is flawed. Change a few terms and you'll see how quickly it falls apart.

* She wouldn't have been murdered if murder weren't an option.
* The bank wouldn't have been robbed if robbery weren't an option.
* I never would have hit you if hitting you wasn't an option.
See the pattern?

And the economic 'justification' doesn't work either

- Whoever is declining to pay the asking price is saying that the work in question has no value to them.

- But if that were true, then why did they exert the effort download/copy it?

---

We really need to be a little more careful with what we accept as reasons and justifications for our actions- or the actions of others. No matter how sympathetic we are to a cause. :)

40hz:
Interesting short article over at techdirt that gives one artist's perspective on the issue:

Amanda Palmer Shows How Her Fans Support Her
http://techdirt.com/articles/20090405/1659514392.shtml

Here's Amanda commenting on her record label's attitude that Twitter "is worth bothering with":

it's a lesson in how the future of music is working - fans are literally (and i mean that....literally) lining up at the signing table after shows and HANDING me cash, saying "thank you".

i had to EXPLAIN to the so-called "head of digital media" of roadrunner australia WHAT TWITTER WAS. and his brush-off that "it hasn’t caught on here yet" was ABSURD because the next day i twittered that i was doing an impromptu gathering in a public park and 12 hours later, 150 underage fans - who couldn't attend the show - showed up to get their records signed.

--- End quote ---

the times they are a-changing fucking dramatically, when pong-twittering with trent reznor means way more to your fan-base/business than whether or not the record is in fucking stores (and in my case, it ain't in fucking stores).

twitter is EVERYTHING that you explain in your rants: it is a MAINLINE insta-connection with the fans. there is ZERO middleman.
--- End quote ---

I found this intriguing because I myself cannot stand Twitter in any way, shape, or form. (Probably more a function of my age than anything else. ;)) But here is Amanda Palmer talking about how it fits in to what she is attempting to do for her fans while she butts heads with the Industry. And even more important, how it is actually working.

Which made me realize things are changing even more than I thought.

What a humbling experience!  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version