ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Free support ends for Windows XP and MS Office 2003

<< < (2/5) > >>

katykaty:
I'd have thought that one of the final updates will be to remove the requirement to activate.

fenixproductions:
I'd have thought that one of the final updates will be to remove the requirement to activate.
-katykaty (April 08, 2009, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Even if they could do that (I don't think they will) you need running XP to install an update. I know I can try to play with nLite and slipstream all patches BUT it has real problems with Polish Windows version which I have.

In theory: you've got 30 days to activate but it has never been working for me. If I skip activation during install I have no chance to do it later. It is always saying right after installation that time to do so ended.

edbro:
I thought the 30 days to activate meant that after 30 days you start to get features locked out. I can't imagine why you couldn't activate at any time.

katykaty:
-katykaty (April 08, 2009, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Even if they could do that (I don't think they will) you need running XP to install an update. I know I can try to play with nLite and slipstream all patches BUT it has real problems with Polish Windows version which I have.

In theory: you've got 30 days to activate but it has never been working for me. If I skip activation during install I have no chance to do it later. It is always saying right after installation that time to do so ended.
-fenixproductions (April 08, 2009, 02:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Perhaps they could make an official patch available; you'd just need to take care to keep it in case of reinstall, though it's possible a copy or two might find their way onto the web  ;)

Or they just set their servers to automatically validate anything, even if the code is 1AMAT 413FA ND15T 0L3T4 15XP1

Please, please don't try to validate with that code  ;)

40hz:
Not entirely correct... Support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 is until July 2010

more @ http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];lifesupsps

-PhilB66 (April 08, 2009, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting. (Good catch PhilB66. :Thmbsup: )

Looking at the note for XP with the various service packs on the Support Index I'd have to agree with you, although why they couldn't just spell out an actual date puzzles me. But I also ran into two two places on the MS website where they seem to contradict that  'SP release date + 24 months' note. So...

Sod second guessing these guys.  ;D I sent them an e-mail asking for a clarification. I'll post their response here when I get it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version