ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anybody Know About DiskTune?

<< < (3/3)

majoMO:
Yeah I understand your point indeed, sajman99, and whenever there are annoyances it's always good to have fixed updates. Maybe the developer doesn't know a needed speed improvement in their defrag yet...

sajman99:
...Maybe the developer doesn't know a needed speed improvement in their defrag yet...
-majoMO (May 06, 2010, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I suspect it's more that he doesn't have time to dedicate to this freeware sideline project; the guy really seems to know his stuff. For example, from the DiskTune help file's miscellaneous section...

DiskTune optimizes Windows boot and files frequently used applications launching. To make sure DiskTune can optimally do so the Windows registry needs to be edited.

Important: below modifications have already been made for you if you have 'checked' the boot-optimize items during the installation of DiskTune!

1: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction. Double click 'Enable' (right pane). The value should be set to N. Click OK.

Accepted values are Y and N. if the value is set to Y then the built-in Windows defragger will undo DiskTune optimizations!

2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\MemoryManagement\PrefetchParameters. Double-click EnablePrefetcher (right pane). The value should be set to 3 (hexadecimal).

Accepted values are 0 = disabled, 1 = Application launch prefetching, 2 = Boot prefetching, 3 = Both prefetching. Option 3 is recommended because Windows will now monitor/record files that are accessed during boot-time and applications that are frequently launched after the operating system has finished loading and update the layout.ini file accordingly. This layout.ini file can be used by DiskTune to optimize boot and application loading by strategically placing the files referred to.

3: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OptimalLayout where EnableAutoLayout needs to be set to 0 (hexadecimal).

--- End quote ---

So I would like to know if I should implement these registry tweaks if I use another third party defragger such as MyDefrag or Puran Defrag? Based on what I've read so far, these tweaks apply to WinXP and Vista (but not Win7?) and serve to prevent the native Windows background defragger from disrupting the third party defrag's optimization.

Can anyone comment on these reg tweaks? Thanks.

Innuendo:
So I would like to know if I should implement these registry tweaks if I use another third party defragger such as MyDefrag or Puran Defrag? Based on what I've read so far, these tweaks apply to WinXP and Vista (but not Win7?) and serve to prevent the native Windows background defragger from disrupting the third party defrag's optimization.-sajman99 (May 24, 2010, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Been a while since I've used Vista, but I'm pretty sure if you run the built in defrag program and go into options you can turn off the background/boot defragging.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version