ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

March 2009 Fundraiser Wrap-up

<< < (3/5) > >>

gexecuter:
So you are not going to spend it all on hookers and blow?

MischaM:
Hello!

The donationcoder.com fundraiser has been interesting to watch.

How much did the site make last month on a generic non-fund-raiser month compared to this month?

--- End quote ---

good question -- i'll report when i summarize fundraising results in the next couple of days.
--- End quote ---

Is this question ever going to be answered or is it against the policy of donationcoder.com to reveal financial details other than those which are obvious?

Since it is a community-funded site i think it is only fair to have complete transparency about funds collected & distributed. It would encourage someone with reservations, like myself, to donate.

If you think revealing financial details is not a good idea, then kindly tell your contributors why not.

Thanks.

app103:
Is this question ever going to be answered or is it against the policy of donationcoder.com to reveal financial details other than those which are obvious?

Since it is a community-funded site i think it is only fair to have complete transparency about funds collected & distributed. It would encourage someone with reservations, like myself, to donate.

If you think revealing financial details is not a good idea, then kindly tell your contributors why not.

Thanks.
-MischaM (April 10, 2009, 02:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

The amount raised can be a bit misleading if just told in total numbers, since it doesn't really belong to the site itself. It belongs to whoever is holding the donation credits. Not all of those credits are in the site fund. Most of them are in control of the individual members.

When you donate to the site you get it back 100%. You don't lose anything. You get it in the form of donation credits that you control, 100%.

You decide where it will go, and to whom, and when, and why, and how much.

When you give your credits to another member, that's exactly where they go....to that person, and that person can do what they please with them, just like you. They can cash them in or pass them on to someone else they feel is even more deserving (this is usually the case).

If you give your credits to the site fund, then they support the site itself. If you give them to a donationware author, then you are supporting that person's projects and encouraging them to create more. If you give them to a reviewer, then you are supporting their writing and encouraging them to write more reviews (maybe even helping them pay for more software to review). If you give them to someone that has helped you with a problem, then you are supporting that and encouraging that person to keep helping people.

So what numbers do you really want? Do you want to know how much each person has in their personal account that isn't in the site fund? Do you want to know exactly how much each person has given to other people and who they gave it to? For privacy reasons I don't think I'd want you to know how much is or isn't in my account, or who gave it to me, or who I give my credits to. And I think most members would feel the same about it.

I will tell you this much: This site has made a big difference in my life. I earned my first $1 from programming here on this site. I have been able to buy things with the money that members gave me, that I wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise. Some of those things allow me to continue writing software and I wouldn't be able to without it.

The bottom line is that you are in full control of your donation. You can't get much more transparent than that.

MischaM:
Hello app103,

Thank you for your response. The underlying principle on which the site runs and on which donation-credits work seem to be quite honorable and I appreciate you trying to explain this to me.

I feel the site can be a lot more transparent about it's finances without divulging any personal details.

Where is the harm in stating a few general figures annually, like:

a)  How much has the site recieved in donations in that year.

b)  How much has actually left the site (been cashed out) by the authors.

c)  A brief break-up of the annual expenses like hosting costs, and the amount spent on gifts and prizes, any other major expense category.

d) How much is currently lying in donation-credits but hasn't been cashed out.

e) How much went exclusively to the site fund.

Putting out statistics like these will inspire confidence and actually encourage donations by showing your potential contributors that donationcoder.com is a community, not just on the working end of things but also on the recieving end - and that the donations don't just benefit one person who runs the site but everyone who contributes to it and goes to making it the great place you describe it to be.

In other words, it'll show in black and white that the donation system that looks so good in theory, actually works in practice.

Dubbing a direct question as "good" and then not giving a straight answer when one has been promised seems careless at best and evasive at worst. I think the site owes a little more accountability to everyone who has reached out and made the fund-raiser such a spectacular success in these tough times we all face.

Thanks. 

cranioscopical:
Putting out statistics like these will inspire confidence and actually encourage donations
-MischaM (April 10, 2009, 09:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think the more accurate term here is might inspire.
I argue the case neither for nor against publishing the kinds of statistics to which you refer.

In other words, it'll show in black and white that the donation system that looks so good in theory, actually works in practice.

--- End quote ---
May I suggest that the empirical evidence already validated the theory?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version