ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Uninstaller Roundup - Revo - Total - ZSoft & the less magnificent seven

<< < (3/6) > >>

Darwin:
also tried Ashampoo Uninstaller but didn't care for it. I forget all the reasons why but I do remember that it stayed resident in memory waiting for an install to monitor. I don't need another system tray app for that, I'd rather launch the utility when I need it.
-edbro (April 02, 2009, 01:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just to note - it is posible to disable this feature (which is how I install it). I don't have it installed at the moment, so can't give precise instructions on how to achieve this.

Steve - thank you for the informative post! I purchased a lifetime licence for Your Uninstaller at least five years ago and it pretty much relegated Ashampoo to secondary status! I'm tempted to give Revo a try, though...

Great post!

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

I'm not sure I share you same concern with the snapshot method. If you didn't have java or .net before the install then the snapshot uninstaller would simply take you back to where you were before the install; no java or .net.  Why would you want to keep the secondary support software if you didn't need or want it before you installed the program you are uninstalling? -edbro
--- End quote ---

Edbro .. what you say is likely true if you go to the earlier snapshot very quickly.  Probably ... the snapshot will work, although these types of softwares can be so "all over the map" I would be a bit queasy to be the test case.  And the problem involves not just having or not having .NET or Visual C++ 2005 or 2008 but having the right and consistent and full version or versions that your programs are calling.

Then the bigger problem is when there is a time gap, and you have all sorts of new software installs using .Net or Visual C++ libraries with multiple dependencies.  Then you un-snapshot -- sounds to me like an oops waiting to happen.  Personally, I want any backwards modifications to those to be an official and/or dedicated uninstaller or an image reinstall, not a side-snapshot.

If you look at the thread on Giveaway, it seems one techie had run into this problem a couple of times, which is why I brought it up here.  However, I dunno if it comes up on the forums of Total Commander or ZSoft.

=====

In general .. this is one reason why I wonder which of the software uninstallers watch the creation dates of files and use that as a help (e.g. being slow to uninstall files with a different creation date) .. the problem with an external multiple-use software library or system like .NET or Java or C++ is that in those cases the multiple dependencies are the norm, not an exception.  Thus uninstalling (actually deleting) what may be a partial component is a recipe for difficulties. Granted, in many cases, even if difficulties arise, you may be able to reinstall the whole unit from scratch, over itself, or do a full uninstall followed by an install .. but again .. I really don't want to be the test case.  I would prefer to have a slightly less complete uninstall (e.g. the Revo-method) than open up even a smallish possibility of this can of worms.  For others, the mileage may vary.

Darwin, thanks.  Here I really am not considering here how the better of the commercial products (there probably are 5-10 good products to consider) compares to Revo, since I am emphasizing that in this category the freeware programs are very good .. not necessarily the very absolute best..  So if you do a compare with Your Installer .. share away how it goes !

Shalom,
Steven

Darwin:
Heh, heh - will do, Steven.

PS to all - I apologize for the multiple exclamation points in my previous post... Giddy from lack of sleep, I guess  :o

OldElmerFudd:
Steven,

Thanks for such a fine article. I used to use the LFV of Total Uninstall, but switched to Revo over a year ago, if memory serves. I always had the same concerns about "snapshots" as you expressed in this statement:

"Then the bigger problem is when there is a time gap, and you have all sorts of new software installs using .Net or Visual C++ libraries with multiple dependencies.  Then you un-snapshot -- sounds to me like an oops waiting to happen.  Personally, I want any backwards modifications to those to be an official and/or dedicated uninstaller or an image reinstall, not a side-snapshot."

My concern was never about Java or .NET, but the difficulty removing a program after a significant interval from first installing it. I don't bother with virtual environments unless it's a massive program. I do check out a lot of software, but my habit is to install-evaluate-uninstall, then figure out what I want to integrate into my machines for the long term. Revo works to my satisfaction, and beats the pants of Windows Add/Remove. I still remember when, many years ago, I tried to uninstall Real Player (shudder!) with A/R, and spent what seemed like hours digging the leftover registry entries out manually.

ha14:
There is also Advanced Uninstaller 10 free edition
http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-Uninstaller-Free/3000-2096_4-75157230.html?part=dl-85782&subj=dl&tag=button

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version