ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Specs for new pc?

<< < (5/5)

daddydave:
I also use Ketarin to keep my current preferred app installers folder up to date
-40hz (June 08, 2010, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ketarin looks interesting, especially this part:

Run custom commands after downloading
--- End quote ---

Sounds like it could run custom silent installs.

Innuendo:
Wow, I completely missed it! :-[
-Deozaan (June 08, 2010, 12:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I figured you did, but I couldn't resist teasing you about it. ;)

steeladept:
Personally, while I agree in general with what is said, I like TigerDirect's approach.  They will sell you a pre-bundled, pre-tested kit of hardware that you then build.  It is sort of in between the HP/DELL/WHOEVER machines that you buy and use, and the labor intensive research and determine what you want to build.  I learned a long time ago, building your own can look awesome on paper, and just have conflict after conflict that (if you are lucky) provides mediocre performance.  I once built a machine that spec'd twice as good as an off-the-shelf HP at about the same price, yet the HP out performed it because of the conflicts and issues between manufacturers.  It eventually got worked out and I still use that machine today, but it was a hassle and it never significantly outperformed the HP's & Dell's with similar specs, even after the bugs were worked out.

Now a days, I buy bundles that meet my minimum requirements and buy additional parts to fit.  For example, I recently looked at one of the TigerDirect bundles that had 2GB of Memory among other things.  I figured this, plus 2 more GB of memory and a video card (instead of the onboard video) was all I would need to make a machine I was looking for at the time.  Total cost, about $600.  About half of that was the video card. (Obviously not cutting edge stuff here, so that accounts for some too).  Just wanted to offer that as another option to the Newegg research and buy method....

JavaJones:
Careful, I bought a bundle off TigerD about 6 months ago that did *not* work out of the box! And they wouldn't replace the PSU that did not have the right 12V connector for the motherboard unless I paid for the upgrade (reasonable in normal circumstances, but they sold it to me as a "bundle" implying it would work). They were even recommending some significantly more expensive PSUs, which I thought was crappy as there were cheaper ones that would do.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version