ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OS Re-install Tips?

<< < (13/13)

Coeluh:
You could nLite your current XP install CD for an unattended install, including all Microsoft patches/updates/servicepacks.

That alone makes re-installing a system a lot less intrusive to whatever you planned to do in meatspace. However, since you are creating a new install CD...why not make it a new install DVD, including all tools you require/desire in a separate folder structure. That way you can install very quickly.

For the truly lazy, there is software to help with that as well.
-Shades (April 18, 2009, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
CD, DVD, everything is fine. Now reinstalling is a bunch of work, downloading drivers etc... Is that possible to do as well?
What is unattended installation? Without help?

Shades:
Unattended is providing answers for the questions the installation wizard asks you. It is very convenient to put in an installation CD and do something else while the new system is getting installed and (basically) configured.

You could add the drivers of your hardware to the driver repository on the installation CD. I have never done that myself, but I  know it is possible.

MilesAhead:
I noticed on the vLite site there was some discussion of an application install automation.  After the OS is on, it runs this script driven engine. Part of the strategy is setting up the installs so as to minimize reboots for apps that require setup to continue after a reboot etc..  Don't recall the name offhand but a search of vLite site should find it easily.

kartal:
The way i do is that , I never install any application I use under the "program files". That way I know which programs need reinstall or basic copying. Before fresh install I make a copy of all the profiles, windows and program folders.

MilesAhead:
The way i do is that , I never install any application I use under the "program files". That way I know which programs need reinstall or basic copying. Before fresh install I make a copy of all the profiles, windows and program folders.
-kartal (April 19, 2009, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Usually stuff that doesn't need the Registry and runs in a self-contained exe or all inside a folder I'll put under a Utils folder.  Even after a Custom install I can run most of them just by dragging shorcuts.  I have Utils in the Path so command line apps I can run right away.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version