ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OS Re-install Tips?

<< < (10/13) > >>

tomos:
What kind of tweaks?  ;D
-CleverCat (April 04, 2009, 02:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

well I removed Windows Media Player (you can remove IE as well, but that seems risky to me)
I really hate the default xp theme so I removed that (I know it wasnt necessary to actually remove it but I enjoyed that :))
I set it up so as on start that it would logon directly (probably not secure but ..)

I cant remember the rest ... I thought I had some helpful links saved in Surfulater but no, dont seem to ...

cranioscopical:
I really hate the default xp theme so I removed that
(I know it wasnt necessary to actually remove it but I enjoyed that)
-tomos (April 04, 2009, 01:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
;D ;D ;D

MilesAhead:
--- End quote ---
;D ;D ;D
-cranioscopical (April 04, 2009, 04:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm seems those with XP put on a Vista lookin' theme, but if you have Vista you put on a W7 lookin' theme.  Guess if you get W7 Ultimate you have to put on a Windows 3.1 theme?  :)

tomos:
--- End quote ---
;D ;D ;D
-cranioscopical (April 04, 2009, 04:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm seems those with XP put on a Vista lookin' theme, but if you have Vista you put on a W7 lookin' theme.  Guess if you get W7 Ultimate you have to put on a Windows 3.1 theme?  :)
-MilesAhead (April 04, 2009, 04:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

actually ...  :-\   I was always very tempted to try a vista look, but not enough to go to all the effort. I now use Classic Look

and
the Tango Patcher [edit] which replaces default system icons [/edit] and am quite happy with the look ... (really though, I wish I had been into computers when they had black backgrounds and glowing green type...)

MilesAhead:
I came after the green... my first monitor was 12" amber.  At least it wasn't teletype.  It did graphics, as long as you really like yellow.  :)

Since I put up with all the hassle of Vista I figure that entitles me to the exploding windows and transparencies.  So I usually go for a theme with glass. I use VistaGlazz and pretty much keep to .msstyles files.  Substituting too many system files can get you hosed.  I did try W7 beta and like everybody else with Vista I wish there was a way to get a Superbar that worked.  Instead I use a registry MinWidth tweak to just get icons in the taskbar. I use a double-height taskbar.  That gives me room to put a whole bunch of junk in my QuickLaunch and still have plenty of room.  For secondary stuff that I still use a lot I have a home-made toolbar.. and of course I use FARR.

The MinWidth tweak kills off the text labels for the toolbar folders so I had to use custom icons to represent the categoies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version