ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OS Re-install Tips?

<< < (9/13) > >>

tomos:
Isn't SP3 an updated SP2?

Then you'd first need a CD with SP3 integrated?
-CleverCat (April 03, 2009, 05:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure lol
I just wanted to point out that you need an install disc with SP2 (minimum) already and then ryanvm slipstreams the updates
I see they have a Windows XP Post-SP3 Update Pack as well

can you tweak the install as well ? - did you indulge there?

f0dder:
Have you tried Nlite? is a program that can help you put drivers, updates and hotfixes into a Windows XP installation disc. It can save lot's of installation time if used corectly.
-gexecuter (April 02, 2009, 01:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

I did a slipstreamed CD install last time using http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/

It worked great and I didn't have to spend hours updating XP!

Takes a bit of learning but it's not Brain Surgery... :D
-CleverCat (April 03, 2009, 04:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
You can use RyanVM's packs with nLite, making it a no-brainer :)

He has both post-SP2 and post-SP3 packs. Iirc there's a few more things to SP3 than just "all the hotfixes since SP2", but not sure exactly what.

BTW you can slipsteam SP2 or SP3 yourself from a vanilla XP CD (or you can slipstream SP3 on a SP2 CD).

40hz:
One thing I also always do is download fresh copies of all my antimalware along with a few other select applications and utilities. This way I don't need to spend a lot of time on the web downloading and getting updates.

Lunarsoft puts out a nice tool that makes getting a number of useful downloads very easy. It's called (misnamed IMHO) the Anti-Malware Toolkit. Info and download at:

http://www.lunarsoft.net/news/lunarsoft/336-anti-malware-toolkit-103125

It has been mentioned on DonationCoder previously. Although it sounds like an antimalware application, what it really does is batch download such applications from a list which you can customize.

One nice feature is that it also downloads some other non-security apps probably you'll want, such as Firefox and Thunderbird. Great tool. :up:

MilesAhead:
You can get detailed info from this site:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?

That's where I got the info how to do the VistaPE disc.  At least you can boot to a graphical desktop with a file manager thing.  Better than nothing.  It does a lot more if you have the install CD instead of using WAIK.

From what I understand if you have XP on your system you can slipstream whatever SP you have on it similar to how BartPE is done, and add stuff you want for a customized environment that boots off CD.

From what I gather with Vista MS had the OEMs quit putting all those files on the HD that allowed slipstreaming stand-alone OS bootable CDs.  Guess it made it too easy for freelancers to distribute XP on their own label. :)

CleverCat:
Isn't SP3 an updated SP2?

Then you'd first need a CD with SP3 integrated?
-CleverCat (April 03, 2009, 05:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure lol
I just wanted to point out that you need an install disc with SP2 (minimum) already and then ryanvm slipstreams the updates
I see they have a Windows XP Post-SP3 Update Pack as well

can you tweak the install as well ? - did you indulge there?
-tomos (April 03, 2009, 06:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

What kind of tweaks?  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version