ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OS Re-install Tips?

<< < (7/13) > >>

MilesAhead:
@40hz Thanks for the reply. But it's my understanding that XP is doable whereas Vista doesn't have what it takes on the HD to create the slipstream like you can in XP. At least with VistaPE I had to use WAIK just to get a boot Vista so I could mess with NTFS files on the HD(for instance to use ERUNT recovery or whatnot.)

40hz:
@40hz Thanks for the reply. But it's my understanding that XP is doable whereas Vista doesn't have what it takes on the HD to create the slipstream like you can in XP. At least with VistaPE I had to use WAIK just to get a boot Vista so I could mess with NTFS files on the HD(for instance to use ERUNT recovery or whatnot.)

-MilesAhead (April 02, 2009, 06:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wouldn't surprise me.

Also, sorry for not realizing it was Vista you were talking about. Can't be of much help to you there. I'm "one of those people" who has as little to do with Vista as possible. I'm skipping it and waiting for Win7. Fortunately, all of my clients are doing the same, so I just might get away with not knowing the ins and outs of Vista as well as I probably should. ;)

Thought: You might want to bounce your question off f0dder or some of the other Vista-savvy techno-mavens that hang out here. One of them might have an answer for you.

Luck. :Thmbsup:

4wd:
nlite/vlite trimming is a really nice thing, also because it allows you to easily integrate drivers, hotfixes/servicepacks and create unattended setups - saves a lot of time.
-f0dder (April 02, 2009, 09:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thing is on PCs I get the OS is preinstalled and they don't provide an install CD/DVD.  HP doesn't seem to go to any pains to tell you how to get one either. vlite insists you copy the install DVD to the HD afaik. Seems kind of risky to reinstall the entire OS just to find out, like if I bought such a DVD, if the thing works before I make a system image for reinstall.  Have you run into any work-around for us underprivileged that don't get the DVD with the machines? :)

-MilesAhead (April 02, 2009, 01:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's doable, but a bit of a pain. A quick Google should point you to some how-to's. It's a fairly involved process you'll need to go through to make an XP install CD.-40hz (April 02, 2009, 05:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually it's rather easy and took me less than 20 minutes excluding writing the CD, (most of the time spent waiting for it to copy the files to another directory).

Create XP install CD has all the info you need, read it through first before attempting it, it will make it go all the more smoother.

And of course, test the CD before you need to rely on it.

EDIT: Dang it!!  I really should read the whole thread before replying  :-[

No, it's not possible with Vista AFAIK.

4wd:
Might be worth a try, either as a replacement for MozBackup - or a...er..backup to it? ;D
-40hz (April 02, 2009, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

why all the big fuss about thunderbird mail :-\
copy the profile folder, restore as in the link I gave above. seems the easiest and most secure to me ...
-tomos (April 02, 2009, 04:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Use the portable versions of Firefox and Thunderbird and just copy/archive the whole directories.

MilesAhead:
@4wd what I should have done is make an image after I cleaned off the crap and installed my most used apps, and burned it to a DVD set.  Thing is when you first get a PC you're distracted by trying to get all that crap off the machine.  Guess if I had a bunch of systems I'd develop a routine for creating lean setups.. but when you only buy one every few years you sort of fly without instruments. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version