ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Dell site won't help me: Please direct me to source of 64-bit drivers for XP?

<< < (2/2)

Carol Haynes:
I hated Vista when it came out (and it was a resource hog). My laptop only had 1Gb of RAM and it was a nightmare with constant disk trashing.

Having said that since SP 1 was released it works fine on my system. You do need 2Gb of RAM and you need to tweak a bit to turn off pointless stuff that irritates but once it was set up properly it works just as well as XP for me.

I still have a desktop running XP and my laptop with Vista32 HP and I now find myself using the laptop more as it boots up quicker and seems to run pretty smoothly (with pretty much the same software set installed and similar performance hardware).

If you haven't used Vista give it a try for a month before you give up on it.

If you are going to use Windows at all you may as well get used to Vista as XP is pretty much on its last legs and when Windows 7 comes out you will only be able to upgrade from Vista (XP upgrades are not supported). Windows 7 is looking very promising and face it ultimately they wil stop security support for XP and at that point you will have to take the plunge.

WRT Windows XP 64-bit you are probably on a hiding to nothing if you have a motherboard that doesn't have drivers. You might stand a better chance with 32-bit XP as there always was a better range of drivers. If you want to you can dual boot the two operating systems on two partitions - then you can have the best of both worlds. It isn't as easy to install XP as a second OS to Vista because XP doesn't detect Vista being installed so doesn't configure the boot system properly. A quick search on the internet can tell you how to do it though.

NewsAndHistory:
Carol, thanks for telling me about your experiences with both of those operating systems. I see what you mean. I haven't tried Windows Vista or Vista-compatible drivers in a while. I will try Windows Vista today.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version