ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for: Stability - System - Stress Test to run in Windows

<< < (2/2)

steeladept:
Doppleganger beat me to it, but it sounds like you don't want stress testing at all.  Rather you want a system monitor with thresholds (preferably predefined thresholds based on the specific model of each individual piece).  If that is the case, I don't believe it exists, but Spotlight-On-Windows by Quest Software does the monitoring in a very intuitive and useful way.  It is expensive, but there is a free download and trial that can be useful for what you want.  Scratch that, it is now old abandonware that is now offered free:

http://www.quest.com/spotlight-on-windows/

I just got it myself now that I see that  :P.  It used to be expensive though.  I tried talking the company into getting it for some issues we had and they wouldn't pay the price - though they agreed that it was good software and might help fix the issues we were having. It was just a case of the fix being more expensive than the problem I guess.  Negotiations weren't as successful as I hoped, but I digress.

Since it is free, give it a shot.  At very least it will give you an idea of where the bottlenecks are in real time and you can try to determine what might resolve these issues elsewhere.

EDIT:  A quote from the website that was part of what I loved about this particular software:
"Spotlight offers a calibration process that automatically sets a baseline of normal activity and sets thresholds for each system. This allows Spotlight to send warnings of impending problems with visual and audible alerts."
--- End quote ---
In other words, it tailors itself to your system!

PhilB66:
Claus of Grand Stream Dreams reviewed System Stress Testing Suites earlier this year. Here's a quick rundown:

Bart’s Stuff Test 5 – (freeware) -- for heavy stress testing of storage devices.

Memtest86 - (freeware) –- for off-line booting of a system and memory checking of installed RAM.

Memtest86+ - (freeware) –- the other bootable memory tester system.

Inquisitor – (open-source) -- for hardware testing and certification system, suitable for both enterprise and home use, customizable, modular and available in both serverless Live CD/DVD format and server-controlled network boot production system.

Phoronix Test Suite - Linux Testing & Benchmarking Platform - (freeware) –- the Test Suite is the most comprehensive testing and benchmarking platform available for the Linux operating system. This software is designed to effectively carry out both qualitative and quantitative benchmarks in a clean, reproducible, and easy-to-use manner.

Phoronix Test Suite LiveCD – Still a work in progress and may not match the current release version of Phoronix proper.  Should allow the curious to experiment with the features safely before deciding if they want to go to the full local installed package.
--- End quote ---

tinjaw:
Thanks for the info folks. I am playing a bit with Spotlight-On-Windows by Quest Software currently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version